WHAT THE HELL HAS THIS GUY BEEN SMOKING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
SulcataSquirt said:
To him it may be the right info, to us the wrong. Im in no way agreeing that we should follow what he is saying, but to just inform him of the correct info, with facts and pictures to prove the this is the rightway of doing things. Not to say WHAT CRACK IS THAT GUY SMOKIN? well hes smoking the tort crack he obiously likes reptiles and I dont see any reason someone would put wrong info out their to purposely cause some one to raise an unhealthy tort. Hes just be misinformed. Look at how many new memebrs join everyday that have done research but have just found this site, and now their tort is dying from dehydration, since they found our site to late. Do we JUDGE them? Or pass on the correct information to get them on the right track?

Ditto.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I understand what you are saying about being helpful and agree. But sulcatas simply do not get 440 pounds, and keeping an adult male and female in a pair is the OPPOSITE of what is best. He recommends all the worst substrates, calcisand, walnut shell, caret and rabbit pellets.

He must surely think that this info is correct or he wouldn't have printed it that way, but I cannot help judging this info as wrong. The substrate thing might be debatable since so many people do use that stuff, but the weights and the pair thing is blatantly wrong and anyone who keeps sulcatas knows this.

You are right that Dean is not subtle. I can tell you that he does not have a lot of patience for blatantly false info being fed to people who are trying to learn. But I can also tell you that you won't find a man more dedicated to his animals. I'm glad to call him a friend even if he does choose not to use a lot of tact sometimes. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I judge everyone, be fore warned. I also eat puppies in case some of you still don't like me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
I was going to post my typical post in situations like this. If you don't offer a helping hand, then don't post about it just to complain. It helps no one and no tort. However, seeing Tom already emailed him, I will not post it. Oh heck yes I am. Here it goes:D

Did you contact them and offer some guidance? Ignoring to offer some polite, constructive non-judgmental advice is not helping the tortoise or it's new owner. They (person selling) it will pass on the same poor info they probably were told.
Don't forget, it has only been a few years that the majority of correct info has been available. I mean this in the nicest way, but to complain about someones care without offering some friendly advice does nothing and is pretty much just as bad. Email them some friendly info. Tell them about TFO. Even ask if they would pass on the sites and/or advice you have given them to the new owners. Wish them luck and say good bye. Now you have done something to help that tortoise. Whether s/he takes it or not, is not on you. Doing nothing, is on you.

A web site is probably more important to contact and set straight then a CL ad. Web sites reaches many more people.

I think that was well said!

dmmj said:
I also eat puppies in case some of you still don't like me.

Somebody had better warn Yvonne then, I heard a rumor she has a new puppy.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
Gah I'm getting tired of my comments being removed. I didn't say anything bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I do agree and know where your coming from Tom, I hate seeing and hearing all the wrong info out their about sulcatas, and other torts in general. I try to share my what I have learned here with other to keep spreading the word on how to rasie a heathly smooth tort. and LOL about the 440 pound sulcata! If i were to have seen that when i was researching, Im sure i wouldnt have chosen a sulcata!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Wait till WalkingRock finds out he is 1/4th is full size instead of 1/2! When he finds out how small he is, he just might go on a rampage!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just sent him an invitation to join our forum, a commendation on the good work he does and a warning that some of his data about sulcatas is out of date. I hope I did it in a kind and gentle manner, because you attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
SulcataSquirt said:
To him it may be the right info, to us the wrong. Im in no way agreeing that we should follow what he is saying, but to just inform him of the correct info, with facts and pictures to prove the this is the rightway of doing things. Not to say WHAT CRACK IS THAT GUY SMOKIN? well hes smoking the tort crack he obiously likes reptiles and I dont see any reason someone would put wrong info out their to purposely cause some one to raise an unhealthy tort. Hes just be misinformed. Look at how many new memebrs join everyday that have done research but have just found this site, and now their tort is dying from dehydration, since they found our site to late. Do we JUDGE them? Or pass on the correct information to get them on the right track? also nothing wrong with judging the information.

There is no version of right or wrong! right is right and wrong is wrong! He's an idiot...no matter how 'helpful' or knowledgeable he thinks he is...and he's not...he's just wrong...so are his ideas. He didn't research any of his 'facts' and he has the audacity to coin the moniker..."TURTLE GUY"

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ditto. People need to get their....crap straight before they start calling themselves an expert, which this guy essentially is doing.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
emysemys said:
I just sent him an invitation to join our forum, a commendation on the good work he does and a warning that some of his data about sulcatas is out of date. I hope I did it in a kind and gentle manner, because you attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Hehe when applied as a metaphor to human behavior it's true but literally if you put a dish of vinegar out you'll catch way more fruit flies ;) it's just always amused me that this is factually inaccurate.

And I totally agree that we should extend a polite hand to this guy but he is obviously on the Internet. The day before I got Levi I spent less than 3 hours surfing sulacta info and in that time I had deciphered the entire timeline of adapting sulacta care and based what I needed to do on the most current info...granted I stumbled on my initial set up but I asked a diverse group of dedicated keepers (you guys :D) to fix it. What I'm getting at is its not hard....especially if you've been doing it for a long time. That is the my beef with this gentleman he bills himself as some one well versed that newbies can trust when he obviously hasn't done his homework in quite awhile (as a biologist all I do is keep up with the field so I have little patience)... But if he comes over to talk to us and consider our opinions, well then, all is forgiven :D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Wow since Cooper is growing so fast maybe he will get to 440! LOL, what a bunch of bad info!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Creedence said:
Laura said:
if he joins you better delete this thread....

Agreed.

No! Let him be subject to ridicule for his (obvious) ignorance! Let his shame drive him to go hide under a rock...or a burrow...does he even
know the difference?

Besides...it's been deleted once already!:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay, now I'm laughing out loud... Dean you're killing me...

Chris, remember the Jurassic park scene where the water cup is shaking? Pan around to find a GIANT COOPER, walking right at the camera... :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also sent him a email. Hopefully I was kind also about his outdated and incorrect info. Also asked that he check out TFO and/or contact Tom, who also emailed him and talk tortoises with him. I did this actually a day or two ago?

DeanS, i understand your anger. However, I really doubt if this guy knew he was so wrong, he would have the site. I would think the majority of people that would put their time and effort into turtles and tortoises would want to do it right. I mean really, what does he get out of it by being wrong. Eventually, many will figure it out once they find TFO or the few other correct sites. I think we need to help educate this guy. Let's do it in as kind of a way as possible. If we don't, the site stays as is. If we can offer helping kind advice that we can get him to except, he takes his site down or he corrects all that's wrong. Like Tom has said before, it's only been about five years since the correct info has been adapted in most of the tortoises care. Not everyone got that info and still today, there are new members all the time complaining about all the conflicting info on the net. I was there a year ago. Did lots of research, i thought. Never once came across TFO:( You should see the credentials my breeder supposedly had. Had she had her own educational site, I may have
never found TFO. The only reason I did find TFO, it was to hard understanding the help she was trying to give me, she's not one to explain well. So I started to search for a site that could answer my questions in a way I could understand, thankfully I found TFO. So, you see, lots of people out there think they are right. If you make them feel and sound like idiots and you a know it all, well, you don't change or help anything. After all, why would they believe that you know more then them just because you say so as you call them idiots. Please consider the nicer route, so maybe some day, only the correct info will be available. (BTW, I wasn't saying you act like a know it all, I meant that's what they will think):D

Status
Not open for further replies.