What sun light did...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
So I keep finding old photo's of Vegas and just wanted to share.

Now when I first got him, I was not given the best advise so I was raising him all wrong and it was rare if he got any natural UV. I lived in an apartment and we had no grass. So he lived his first few years inside and the color of his carapace shows that. These first photo's were taken in September 2008....

l.jpg

l2.jpg

l4.jpg

l1.jpg

So after I was given better advise and then moving to Texas in June of 2010, Vegas went out side 24/7 and his carapace went through some changes and this is what it looks like now... This is a recent photo...

IMG00202-20110702-1457.jpg

The color has completely changed, his shell wont be perfect, but he is much happier and healthier...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's quite a difference. Except for the slight indentation at the hips, his shell looks pretty darned good.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
emysemys said:
That's quite a difference. Except for the slight indentation at the hips, his shell looks pretty darned good.

I am just happy it wasn't worse with the bad info I was given...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tortoise said:
Vegas is beautiful, lovely shell.

Thanks Louise, his shell has improved a lot since he went outsite 24/7 a year ago and as he has grown...

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I agree with getting them out 24/7...I was hesitant to do it...but it was amazing to see how they just go about their day to day. Walking around in this large outdoor area. I think they are much happier this way.

Vegas looks great...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
DixieParadise said:
I agree with getting them out 24/7...I was hesitant to do it...but it was amazing to see how they just go about their day to day. Walking around in this large outdoor area. I think they are much happier this way.

Vegas looks great...

I agree, getting them outside seems to change them for the better. Even our rescue is so much happier now, I will go outside and find her asleep basking in the sun

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
momo said:
vegas says your the greatest! nice job! lindy

Thanks Lindy :D.. We have expanded his enclosure several times to give him more room and if it ever cools down here in North Texas we will be able to grown him more grass and weeds which he really likes...

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
dalano73 said:
momo said:

Thanks Lindy :D.. We have expanded his enclosure several times to give him more room and if it ever cools down here in North Texas we will be able to grown him more grass and weeds which he really likes...

hi, been watching the news on the heat there.so sorry its so hot. hope it cools downs soon. lindy

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
momo said:
dalano73 said:
momo said:

hi, been watching the news on the heat there.so sorry its so hot. hope it cools downs soon. lindy

Today is the 38th straight day of 100+ temps, it's very hard to get anything to start growing right now...

River14

5 Year Member
So lovely, yep i also think its real sunshine that does the trick plus a good diet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The darker shell did look cooler, but he looks so much better now, good job. I am sure you have noticed a big improvement in his attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.