What substrate is best?

Zoeee2426

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Hi guys! After doing some research and finding the current (hemp) substrate that I am using is not good, I was wondering what I should use instead? A lot of people recommended using cypress mulch or orchid bark. However, upon searching these products, I have come to notice there are lots of brands and different types that are available. Two of the substrates that came up were rainforest substrate and forest bark. Are these any good? I have a mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise :). Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Potential Substrates.png
    Potential Substrates.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 27

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yea, I really like it. It holds moisture well and is a good mix of soil with a litlle bit of very fine sand that won't cause impaction.
Yes it can, and sometimes does.

Neither soil nor sand should be used as substrate under a tortoise.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So, they live on bark in the wild?

No they don't...but in the wild they also don't have UVB bulbs...or other stuff that fails me right now...the bottom line is they don't live in the wild anymore, so we try to replicate those things and we need to tweak some things...substrate is very important...You can either believe us...just trying to help u keep your tort alive, or you can believe something from that company wanting money from you...any freakin type of sand can cause impaction...you think with all our experience here we would lie??? Top soil is a fancy name for dirt...so when they eat they ingest dirt...bad...fine grade orchid bark is the best substrate...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
In the wild, they’re eating plants growing off of the ground, and grazing from the top. In captivity, they’re eating greens from the ground or a platter that will likely be dragged or mixed into the substrate. The ground is also more packed down, and not loose soil dumped in to an enclosure. Outside, the ground is fine, but inside, there are better options.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Of course not. What does that have to do with anything? The little enclosure in your living room or backyard is not the wild in any way, shape, or form.

In the wild 300-1000 of them die for every one that makes it to maturity. Did you have to go through 300+ to get one to survive? Of course not, because in captivity we try to eliminate the things that harm them and instead create optimal conditions for them.

Ever seen a vet perform a sand impaction surgery? Ever smelled or heard one of these surgeries? I have. If you had, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

ritalutzer

scottsdale,az
Hi guys! After doing some research and finding the current (hemp) substrate that I am using is not good, I was wondering what I should use instead? A lot of people recommended using cypress mulch or orchid bark. However, upon searching these products, I have come to notice there are lots of brands and different types that are available. Two of the substrates that came up were rainforest substrate and forest bark. Are these any good? I have a mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise :). Thanks for your help!
I work at the Phoenix Herpetological Center and there they use rabbit pellets for bedding

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I work at the Phoenix Herpetological Center and there they use rabbit pellets for bedding
Rabbit pellets are not a suitable substrate. In fact, they’re one of the worst. They’re too dry, dusty, mold in humidity, and most of the time, too hard to eat.