What species of softshell do I have?

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
I recently received this softshell from a guy who could not care for it (I got it for free after buying a male Eastern muddy from him). Unsure of the sex, but it looks female (though I'm probably wrong). Anyway, here are the pics. Please let me know what softshell that I'm dealing with, and how I should prepare. I'm aware that females get quite large and require large enclosures. Thanks!
20170826_091013.jpg 20170826_090926.jpg 20170826_090941.jpg 20170826_090904.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I recently received this softshell from a guy who could not care for it (I got it for free after buying a male Eastern muddy from him). Unsure of the sex, but it looks female (though I'm probably wrong). Anyway, here are the pics. Please let me know what softshell that I'm dealing with, and how I should prepare. I'm aware that females get quite large and require large enclosures. Thanks!
View attachment 216601 View attachment 216602 View attachment 216603 View attachment 216604
GOSH!!!! She's BEAUTIFUL!!!! :):):)
And look at those crazy paddle-feet!!!! :p

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
GOSH!!!! She's BEAUTIFUL!!!! :):):)
And look at those crazy paddle-feet!!!! :p
Yes she is a real jewel (at least I think it's female, I could be wrong). I'm contemplating on whether to rehome it or actually keep it. The eventual size will be an issue. That said, what is the MINIMUM sized tub tonuse because I hate using glass tanks. Atm she measures 4.5 inches.

zovick

10 Year Member!
If it is a female, it could get close to 20" in length. For now, you could use a small size kiddie pool.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
If it is a female, it could get close to 20" in length. For now, you could use a small size kiddie pool.
Thanks, I was actually considering that too. Eventually, I may want to use a stock tank or make my own small pond to accommodate her eventual size.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes she is a real jewel (at least I think it's female, I could be wrong). I'm contemplating on whether to rehome it or actually keep it. The eventual size will be an issue. That said, what is the MINIMUM sized tub tonuse because I hate using glass tanks. Atm she measures 4.5 inches.

What's the maximum amount of space you can provide? Get a tub that size. At 4.5", minimum I'd go is 3x2, but bigger is better and these guys will use ALL of it. IMO, these guys require a sandy substrate. In addition to a basking area and a good filter, this will help ward off any shell infections and provide a sense of security.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
What's the maximum amount of space you can provide? Get a tub that size. At 4.5", minimum I'd go is 3x2, but bigger is better and these guys will use ALL of it. IMO, these guys need a sandy substrate. In addition to a basking area and a good filter, this will help ward off any shell infections and provide a sense of security.
For now, I have it quarantined in a 20 gallon long tank with black sand and 2 small turtle filters. I also have my muddy in another 20 gallon. Still trying to figure out if he really is a Yellow muddy or not. He's posted in a different thread. I live in Texas, and due to Harvey, I moved my female ornate boxie from her outdoor pen and into a zoo med tortoise house temporarily.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I would add to Mark's id , and I would guess it is a pallid spiney softshell , I think that's a texas species ? I'd guess that because i think it's the only one that does not have the black rings around those dots , I used to see easterns in the river by my house , they do get quite big .......