What species is my tortoise?

JOlT97

Location (City and/or State)
Wantage
Me and my grandad hatched tortoises 7 years ago and recently he has passed away so I am trying to learn more about them, I was just wondering if someone could help me with what sex they are and what species they are?
Many thanks!!

20200315_182509.jpg20200315_182517.jpg

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Me and my grandad hatched tortoises 7 years ago and recently he has passed away so I am trying to learn more about them, I was just wondering if someone could help me with what sex they are and what species they are?
Many thanks!!
So sorry about your grandfather ?.
They look like Hermann’s to me, but I am a novice. You might want to post pictures of underneath and tails for more experienced tort keepers to see gender and species better. Hope someone can help you soon.

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many thanks!!
We can't tell the sex without seeing the undersides and the tail. They are either greeks or hermanni. Care is the same for both.

Tortoises should never be roaming loose on the floor, and they should never be housed as pairs. The two in the pic are in a very adversarial position.

Check these out for care info:

Same care for all three species:

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Can I see a pic of the underside?

The plastron markings will help a lot in differentiating between Hermann or Greek. Two dark lines running parallel the body length for Hermann, a dark blotch for Greek.

Check the back of the back thighs. If the torts have 'spurs' on the thighs they are Greek, if they do not they are either Hermann or Marginated. Check the tip of the tail. Does it have a hard spiny tip? If yes, Hermann.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I see a pic of the underside?

The plastron markings will help a lot in differentiating between Hermann or Greek. Two dark lines running parallel the body length for Hermann, a dark blotch for Greek.

Check the back of the back thighs. If the torts have 'spurs' on the thighs they are Greek, if they do not they are either Hermann or Marginated. Check the tip of the tail. Does it have a hard spiny tip? If yes, Hermann.
Now that you say it, they do look like marginated...