What species is my tortoise/turtle? How do I care for her??

h28putte

Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
Hello. I'm new here, and was hoping I could get some help with identifying the species of my turtle/tortoise!
Sorry for the long post ahead, however, I really need help!!

IMG_0774 2.JPGIMG_0770 2.JPGIMG_0770 2.JPGIMG_0771 2.JPGIMG_0772 2.JPGIMG_0774 2.JPGIMG_0776 2.JPG
My tortoise/turtle is about 10 years old. The pet store was unsure of her species, however, I am guessing she's either a box turtle or a Mediterranean tortoise?? I have taken her to the vet multiple times, however, they all claim she is perfectly healthy. I am very afraid that I am not caring properly for her, and therefore I would like some advice.

A little about her:
- She is approximately 12 cm (5 inches, and doesn't seem to be growing.) I live in Denmark (sorry if my English isn't sufficient, I'm still studying English, and learning more every week.) It is rather cold here, however she has a heating pad in her cage, as well as a blue UVB lamp. I am currently looking for a bigger cage, as I am aware this one is not big enough. What size should it be? Considering her size?

- Her current meal plan: She gets food twice a week: Once consisting of Tartar (as she will not eat mealworms). I mix the meat with a calcium+vitamin/minerals supplement, as well as a dried vitakraft plant mixture consisting of herbs, vegetables, fruits, honey and calcium. The second time she gets some form of vegetables/flower leaves (that I'm 100% sure aren't poisonous to her.) Occasionally soft fruits in the summertime.
What should I change???

- She also has a very dry shell, I've applied some vitakraft reptile lotion in the pics... how often should I bathe her? And is this a problem for her? Is her shell okay? She has had some mold issues previously, however she got antibiotics, and recovered very quickly.
She seems curious and overall pretty happy, however, I'm afraid I could be doing something wrong, since I'm unsure about her species!

Ps: she has gotten a tiny dent on top of her head in the last couple of days (see the last picture), I think she might've gotten hurt... I'm bringing her to the vet ASAP!

h28putte

Denmark
Hello. I'm new here, and was hoping I could get some help with identifying the species of my turtle/tortoise!
IMG_0770 2.JPG IMG_0771 2.JPG IMG_0772 2.JPG IMG_0774 2.JPG IMG_0776 2.JPG
My tortoise/turtle is about 10 years old. The pet store was unsure of her species, however, I am guessing she's either a box turtle or a Mediterranean tortoise?? I have taken her to the vet multiple times, however, they all claim she is perfectly healthy. I am very afraid that I am not caring properly for her, and therefore I would like some advice.

A little about her:
- She is approximately 12 cm (5 inches, and doesn't seem to be growing.) I live in Denmark (sorry if my English isn't sufficient, I'm still studying English, and learning more every week.) It is rather cold here, however she has a heating pad in her cage, as well as a blue UVB lamp. I am currently looking for a bigger cage, as I am aware this one is not big enough. What size should it be? Considering her size?

- Her current meal plan: She gets food twice a week: Once consisting of Tartar (as she will not eat mealworms). I mix the meat with a calcium+vitamin/minerals supplement, as well as a dried vitakraft plant mixture consisting of herbs, vegetables, fruits, honey and calcium. The second time she gets some form of vegetables/flower leaves (that I'm 100% sure aren't poisonous to her.) Occasionally soft fruits in the summertime.
What should I change???

- She also has a very dry shell, I've applied some vitakraft reptile lotion in the pics... how often should I bathe her? And is this a problem for her? Is her shell okay? She has had some mold issues previously, however she got antibiotics, and recovered very quickly.
She seems curious and overall pretty happy, however, I'm afraid I could be doing something wrong, since I'm unsure about her species!

Ps: she has gotten a tiny dent on top of her head in the last couple of days (see the last picture), I think she might've gotten hurt... I'm bringing her to the vet ASAP!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 283669View attachment 283666View attachment 283666View attachment 283667View attachment 283668View attachment 283669View attachment 283670

A little about her:

What should I change???

Ps: she has gotten a tiny dent on top of her head in the last couple of days (see the last picture), I think she might've gotten hurt... I'm bringing her to the vet ASAP![/QUOTE
Actually your English is very good. Hello and welcome. You're at the right site for help. There's a lot of longtime members here that will love to help you with advice. Hang in there. I've gotten really good advice about my Russian here.

h28putte

Denmark
Thanks so much! Looking forwards to learning more about her, so that I can treat her a bit better!! I'm mainly concerned about humidity and diet...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks so much! Looking forwards to learning more about her, so that I can treat her a bit better!! I'm mainly concerned about humidity and diet...
Other people on this site can help you more then me and I'm sure they'll be trying soon. I do think identifying your little one comes first. Then go to the topics on this site for the species you have.

h28putte

Denmark
Other people on this site can help you more then me and I'm sure they'll be trying soon. I do think identifying your little one comes first. Then go to the topics on this site for the species you have.
Thank you so much! I'm gonna go to bed, and be patient (even though its difficult, haha).
I think she might be a box turtle, she looks like a three toed box turtle, however she has four toes... Looking forwards to getting this confirmed/denied!!

Thanks for being to kind and friendly!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you so much! I'm gonna go to bed, and be patient (even though its difficult, haha).
I think she might be a box turtle, she looks like a three toed box turtle, however she has four toes... Looking forwards to getting this confirmed/denied!!

Thanks for being to kind and friendly!!
I know what you mean by difficult. I still go through that and it's been 12 years with my little Russian. It still wakes me up sometimes. I've only been on the TFO site for a little over a year but it has really helped. I can decipher what I've done right AND wrong. Hang in there.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Whatever else may be wrong I am not sure, but I think she looks dry and needs soaking and rehydration. Where is her water pool?

h28putte

Denmark
Whatever else may be wrong I am not sure, but I think she looks dry and needs soaking and rehydration. Where is her water pool?
She has a big water pool in her cage. I make sure it is always full. I also spray her cage with water twice a day to mimic light rain. Do you have any suggestions as to what else I could do??

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She has a big water pool in her cage. I make sure it is always full. I also spray her cage with water twice a day to mimic light rain. Do you have any suggestions as to what else I could do??
Sure. If she does not go into her water (maybe it's too cold?) then a long warm soak in a plastic tub for half an hour or more each day would benefit her.
Also if you are planning to take her to a vet, make sure it's a good reptile vet with experience...otherwise, they sometimes make things worse!
Love your little turtle, she is adorable. Good luck!

h28putte

Denmark
Sure. If she does not go into her water (maybe it's too cold?) then a long warm soak in a plastic tub for half an hour or more each day would benefit her.
Also if you are planning to take her to a vet, make sure it's a good reptile vet with experience...otherwise, they sometimes make things worse!
Love your little turtle, she is adorable. Good luck!
She doesn't seem to be avoiding the water, and its never much colder than the temperature of her cage (so logically it shouldn't be an issue?). My vet is the most experienced within my country, she specializes in reptiles:). Also I've read before that its not good to bathe them too often, because it stimulates them to poop, which can be very uncomfortable for them, if it is done too often. What is your experience with this?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She doesn't seem to be avoiding the water, and its never much colder than the temperature of her cage (so logically it shouldn't be an issue?). My vet is the most experienced within my country, she specializes in reptiles:). Also I've read before that its not good to bathe them too often, because it stimulates them to poop, which can be very uncomfortable for them, if it is done too often. What is your experience with this?
I've never heard of that reasoning for not soaking "too often"! Surely it could only be "uncomfortable" for them if they are constipated in the first place, then, well - here it comes - hurrahhhh!!!
Best of luck and stick around with her progress. I have posted my opinion which is based only on what I have learned right here on this site from those who know, tried and tested.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia

View attachment 283669View attachment 283666View attachment 283666View attachment 283667View attachment 283668View attachment 283669View attachment 283670

A little about her:

What should I change???

Welcome to TFO! Your English is more than sufficient. You have a North American box turtle, probably a three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis) or a hybrid of different N.A. box turtles. The box turtle care sheet links in the post from Toddrickfl1 give a good overview of how to care for them. I have some thoughts about how to answer your questions but have some questions of my own first. You stated that she was 10 years old, how long have you had her? Are you feeding a type of Tartar made from minced beef? What specific Vitakraft plant product are you using? I see several available on the internet. You are using a blue UVB bulb, can you provide a link to what product that is? And finally, anitbiotics are not used to treat mold. Was that a problem with the shell or soft tissue? Do you have any pictures of it?

Last edited:

h28putte

Denmark
Welcome to TFO! Your English is more than sufficient. You have a North American box turtle, probably a three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis) or a hybrid of different N.A. box turtles. The box turtle care sheet links in the post from Toddrickfl1 give a good overview of how to care for them. I have some thoughts about how to answer your questions but have some questions of my own first. You stated that she was 10 years old, how long have you had her? Are you feeding a type of Tartar made from minced beef? What specific Vitakraft plant product are you using? I see several available on the internet. You are using a blue UVB bulb, can you provide a link to what product that is? And finally, anitbiotics are not used to treat mold. Was that a problem with the shell or soft tissue? Do you have any pictures of it?

I completely missed this response, and was just looking back at this thread for advice today. My apologies! (And I hope youre still on this site)
First of all, thanks for helping with identifying her species, as for the questions:
1. Today, she is about 11, and i've had her for 9 years. However, I am unsure of how old she was when i got her, so I might be a bit off when it comes to her age.
2. I was feeding minced beef, however I have later stopped, as it was mainly a precaution taken to ensure a high energy-level during a time of reconciliation.
3. I am (currently) using the "Vitakraft Vita terre Reptile special herbivore" with every meal (https://www.miscota.dk/reptiles/vit...yI5J9PNDFMQaSRWPDqQPrLwvWLB5SCxBoCQEIQAvD_BwE), as well as the occasional mix-in of a vitamin C+minerals powder from sera called reptimineral C.
4. As it was bought in-store, I do not have a link, however, the lamp I use is dessert 10%+UVB blue light lamp, which is 18 watt. Produced by Arcidia.
5. I do have pictures from the time, however the issue was with the density of the shell, wherefore it isn't noticeable in any pictures

I hope you'll still be able to help me, despite me overlooking your response for over a year...

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I completely missed this response, and was just looking back at this thread for advice today. My apologies! (And I hope youre still on this site)
First of all, thanks for helping with identifying her species, as for the questions:
1. Today, she is about 11, and i've had her for 9 years. However, I am unsure of how old she was when i got her, so I might be a bit off when it comes to her age.
2. I was feeding minced beef, however I have later stopped, as it was mainly a precaution taken to ensure a high energy-level during a time of reconciliation.
3. I am (currently) using the "Vitakraft Vita terre Reptile special herbivore" with every meal (https://www.miscota.dk/reptiles/vit...yI5J9PNDFMQaSRWPDqQPrLwvWLB5SCxBoCQEIQAvD_BwE), as well as the occasional mix-in of a vitamin C+minerals powder from sera called reptimineral C.
4. As it was bought in-store, I do not have a link, however, the lamp I use is dessert 10%+UVB blue light lamp, which is 18 watt. Produced by Arcidia.
5. I do have pictures from the time, however the issue was with the density of the shell, wherefore it isn't noticeable in any pictures

I hope you'll still be able to help me, despite me overlooking your response for over a year...
Your box turtle is showing some shell and beak growth problems due to dietary inefficiencies, lack of humidity or both. This may have occurred before you got the turtle and it may be ongoing. I can tell you what works for me in raising box turtles with smooth, strong shells and you may be able to get these products in Denmark. For a base diet I like Omega One Adult Turtle Sticks, Mazuri Aquatic Turtle Diet and Hikari Saki Turtle Food, in that order. I keep all three on hand and change which one I offer from time to time, but mostly use the Omega One. I mix other fresh and live foods with the pellets. Fresh foods include dandelion, mustard and turnip greens cut into small pieces. I give them fruit in the form of mulberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, plums and occasionally banana or mango. Live foods are relished and can include earthworms (I use European red worms), black soldier fly larvae, hornworms and occasionally super worms. If your turtle will eat the pellets and live foods they get enough Vitamin D3 and calcium that UVB rays are probably not required but I like to provide them anyway. I have been using Zoo Med Power Sun mercury vapor lights with success for years but I am transitioning to fluorescent UVB lighting because they are not as harsh or hot, last longer, and are more economical. I keep my box turtles at 85 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and 70 degrees Fahrenheit at night. Box turtles like intense humidity of around 80%. Spraying water is great, but you will also need pour water from a large container into the substrate to keep it wet. If you are still using the open top aquarium, the substrate should be really wet as the water evaporates from the substrate quickly, especially this time of year when heating systems are drying out the air. The prime ingredients for raising a successful box turtle are vitamin D3, calcium, and humidity. The vitamins from fruits and veggies are an important element but without the first three, box turtles will not develop properly.

h28putte

Denmark
Your box turtle is showing some shell and beak growth problems due to dietary inefficiencies, lack of humidity or both. This may have occurred before you got the turtle and it may be ongoing. I can tell you what works for me in raising box turtles with smooth, strong shells and you may be able to get these products in Denmark. For a base diet I like Omega One Adult Turtle Sticks, Mazuri Aquatic Turtle Diet and Hikari Saki Turtle Food, in that order. I keep all three on hand and change which one I offer from time to time, but mostly use the Omega One. I mix other fresh and live foods with the pellets. Fresh foods include dandelion, mustard and turnip greens cut into small pieces. I give them fruit in the form of mulberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, plums and occasionally banana or mango. Live foods are relished and can include earthworms (I use European red worms), black soldier fly larvae, hornworms and occasionally super worms. If your turtle will eat the pellets and live foods they get enough Vitamin D3 and calcium that UVB rays are probably not required but I like to provide them anyway. I have been using Zoo Med Power Sun mercury vapor lights with success for years but I am transitioning to fluorescent UVB lighting because they are not as harsh or hot, last longer, and are more economical. I keep my box turtles at 85 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and 70 degrees Fahrenheit at night. Box turtles like intense humidity of around 80%. Spraying water is great, but you will also need pour water from a large container into the substrate to keep it wet. If you are still using the open top aquarium, the substrate should be really wet as the water evaporates from the substrate quickly, especially this time of year when heating systems are drying out the air. The prime ingredients for raising a successful box turtle are vitamin D3, calcium, and humidity. The vitamins from fruits and veggies are an important element but without the first three, box turtles will not develop properly.

I have had issues with humidity-levels and never thought about mixing water into her substrate, but will surely start doing it! It sounds like a great way to keep humidity up! Asides from that, I think I've got it all under control, but will look into the base diets you mentioned, and consider transitioning. Once again, thank you so much!!

Milwaukee
Yeah looks like a three toed. I would look at his nose it looks a bit to red. I don’t know it this three toed just has really bold coloring or if it’s sings on irritation.