What species? Desert Tortoise or Sulcata?

New tortoise owner here! I was given this tortoise April 2014 last minute and told she was a Desert Tortoise, female and will hibernate during the winters. She is such a friendly thing, mostly comes when called and always on time for dinner (no call needed – ha!). We just love her. Recently, the more I research and see pictures, the more I think “Roxie” is a Sulcata. I just need to prepare for this winter, whether it is for her hibernation or heated space for nights. I live in Mesa, AZ and she has the run of the backyard with shelter. This is a pic from the first day I got her. I need to get some more pictures….. she has grown so much in the last 2 months!

Attachments

• Roxie.jpg
    Roxie.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 60

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, it is a desert tortoise, just not from the desert in the U.S. That's a sulcata for sure. Your statement "...she has been growing so much in the last two months..." is your first clue. And you're correct in assuming this tortoise is not going to hibernate.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

glaerey

5 Year Member
Well, it is a desert tortoise, just not from the desert in the U.S. That's a sulcata for sure. Your statement "...she has been growing so much in the last two months..." is your first clue. And you're correct in assuming this tortoise is not going to hibernate.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
I second that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...oh, and - Welcome to the Forum!!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Sorry, I should have finished the name. They told me a “Sonoran Desert Tortoise (Gopherus morafkai)”. I was thinking she looked more like an African Spurred Sulcata from the very beginning. I was really worried about hibernation and where I would put her in the winters (and how much we would miss her)…. Now I can do a setup in the laundry room with a heated pad and let her back out before work.

glaerey

5 Year Member
Sorry, I should have finished the name. They told me a “Sonoran Desert Tortoise (Gopherus morafkai)”. I was thinking she looked more like an African Spurred Sulcata from the very beginning. I was really worried about hibernation and where I would put her in the winters (and how much we would miss her)…. Now I can do a setup in the laundry room with a heated pad and let her back out before work.
A heated pad is not a good idea as tortoises are program to take heat from above.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Trinity welcome to the TFO from Phx AZ . You don't had to hibernate any tort unless you want to breed it . I thought I should tell you that tidbit of info. Cause torts are a lot like Lays chips you cannt have just one . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You do indeed have a sulcata. They do not hibernate, and pig blankets (rugged outdoor heat mats) work great for big sulcatas.

Here is how I house mine:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-effective-night-box.86632/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/

There are several different designs and heating styles in these threads. I just put one of these boxes in an area of the enclosure where I can plug in and I close them in at night and open the door every morning.

tmh

5 Year Member
turah, montana
Has anyone heard of a sulcata beinghoused in montana? I have a heat in the floor dog kennel w/lots of windows for natural light. Am planning on closing my boarding kennel in 2 years. Would a sulcata when it gets big be able to live during winter in that setting? Heat is in concrete. We have an ebt at this time who lives in house during winter and has 4 acres fenced in summer months. Been looking for 2 or 3 cb ebt hatchlings with no luck. Rethinking sulcata with great availability and sounds likesweet personalities. Any ideas for mr? Thanks tina

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have a feeling that in a few years there'll be many, many, many Sulcata tortoises that need adopted. I would not breed them but it does sound like you have a good place to keep them. I know people keep them in cold climates.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Tmh
The problems I see torts or boxys don't do well with bottom heat they need heat from the top. And glass blocks out the uv rays that the torts needs

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum