what size outdoor enclosure for adult leopard tortoise

threenice

yes i was wondering what the appropriate size outdoor pen would be including the height.
Also what did you guys did for your pens (what material was used)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I think in most cases, an adult should have range of the whole yard.

If you have acreage or need to keep pooches/children separate, then go big. I'd say 40'x40'? Something that could be considered "yard size" rather than cage size. Did that make sense?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Checkout the outdoor enclosure thread. There are lots of ways to do it. Bigger is always better. My outdoor enclosure is 15' X 50' for my adult Leopards. I made a cement wall about 2' high and put a cyclone fence on it to keep the dogs out, on one side and the other side, no dogs there, so I stacked two high railroad ties. May have to go higher eventually. Smaller leopards can obviously have smaller enclosures. I would certainly lose my babies if I put them in there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think in most cases, an adult should have range of the whole yard.

If you have acreage or need to keep pooches/children separate, then go big. I'd say 40'x40'? Something that could be considered "yard size" rather than cage size. Did that make sense?

Not really:p:D. Just kidding, had to do it. Your not on as much:(:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've housed 3 juvenile leopards in a similar sized pen. It was 20'x6'... It could be ok for a single adult if set up right (well planted). But it's too small for my preference.

@wellington ..now that I'm in Oregon, with only 1 tort and it's winter time,I have nothing to report! Haha

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It's difficult to recommend a good size without knowing about you or your set up, but as a general rule of thumb I would recommend making the enclosure as big as you can.

Any sort of material would work. Concrete blocks and wood are popular. All of my pens are a minimum of 12 inches high and I have not had any jailbreaks yet.