What should I use to make my tortoise an enclosure

ImNewToThis

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
I have a 3-4 yr old sulcata. Calcium deficient, if thats relevant, and yes Im taking care of that. Im trying to build him a nice, big hide. Somewhere he can sleep in. I dont like to keep him enclosed in an area, I let him walk around my room (clean floors, not much furniture) and the balcony (edge entirely closed off, and around 10 meters wide so its big enough). However, I want him to have a sufficient hide for him to sleep in. I got a card board box and I laid down a little mat and newspaper for comfort and in case he poos. And I warm him with a towel or blanket when he sleeps. Is that good or bad? Where can I improve? Vet said he doesnt need a big fancy enclosure with UV light since the city is pretty sunny, hot and somewhat humid.

IMAG0030.jpg

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Everyone is gonna tell you to make a separate enclose for this tortoise but I'ts your tortoise so you can do what you want. I think some kind of wooden box or doghouse filled with straw would be better. tortoise house.jpg

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
That won’t be enough, you shouldn’t be keeping your tortoise inside... make a enclosure outside, a blanket won’t warm up it’s body temperature. You shouldn’t let the temperature go lower than 80 degrees.

ImNewToThis

Dubai
I will confer with the building owner and see if I can build him a home outside. FYI, I set up the room temperature to 27 C just for him :) .

ImNewToThis

Dubai
Thank you for the suggestion. I will look for wooden planks and see if I can get any straw on short notice. Will need to make a plan for cleaning up the place before building it though. Your advice appreciated :)

KronksMom

Illinois
Blankets work for mammals like us because we produce our own heat and then the blanket helps trap the little heat our bodies are already producing, amplifying it, and making us warmer. Reptiles do not produce any of their own heat. They need outside thermoregulation, either from the sun or from heating elements like a radiant heat panel or a ceramic heat emitter. He may try to "snuggle" into the blanket, because in the wild he would have the option of burrowing down into the ground to find more stable temperatures. That doesn't mean the blanket is helping. He absolutely needs something like a radiant heat panel or a radiator, and he needs to have access to those in a safe place at all times. It's also very important that he has access to a large water dish. Large enough for him to fit his entire body into so he can sit in there and absorb some of the water.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Your tortoise needs to be living outdoors full time with a heated nightbox if it is 8 inches or larger. It’s current conditions are not adequate in the slightest.
Give these a read, especially if your tortoise is still less than 8 inches-
The best way to raise a sulcata, leopard, or star- https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Check out the enclosure sub forum for more ideas.

ImNewToThis

Dubai
Thats new information that I will definitely keep in mind when Im shopping for him. Thank you