What should I use for flooring

Antcrks

Location (City and/or State)
Ng209bz (UK)
Hi just a quick one what is the best to use for the floor .. at the min iv got little woodchippings..

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m guessing you mean What’s the best substrate to use?

Substrate:
There are only three viable options. Coco coir, orchid bark, and cypress mulch. All of these can be purchased in bulk at most hardware or garden center stores at a tremendous savings. I don't like coco coir for these species because its too messy. I don't like cypress mulch because the pieces aren't uniform, some pieces are too big or too sharp, and because it smells like the swamp that is came from. If these two are all you can find, then go ahead and use them. They are safe and suitable. Fine grade orchid bark works the best. Its cheap, easy, holds moisture well, doesn't stink, easy to clean, easy for babies to walk on, not an ingestion hazard, etc... I recommend against any store bought soil, "Pets At Home" reptile bedding with the little white limestone bits in it, wood shavings or chips, ground walnut shell, corn cob bedding, rabbit pellets, compressed grass pellet bedding, newspaper pellets, hay, cedar, or any amount of sand. None of those are safe or suitable for an indoor tortoise enclosure.

Antcrks

Ng209bz (UK)
Another question. I have a horse field ... how dry dose the viv have to be .. should I spray inside to dampen up