What should I do with this one?

Tortlee83

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
They are crafty little climbers that’s how they get out in the first place. Keep a good eye on the little guy. We adopted ours from the humane society because he got out of someone’s yard, but they didn’t care for him very well. Now he is in his yard loving life, they are the most peaceful breed out of the 7 types I have. Loveable 100%

this is the best pic ever!!!!!

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Does anyone know if there is a certain amount of time to claim a beautiful tortoise as your own? Just wondering..?
Good question.
I would suggest if ever in this situation (as donatd is) to reach out to every possible venue (vet's offices, animal control in surrounding towns, Craigslist, posting flyers in neighborhood, knocking on doors in neighborhood, Nextdoor, community Facebook sites, local police departments, and any other places one can think of such as Tortoise Forum, lost pet sites, local rescues, herp groups, etc.). Document and keep track of the venue, date initially contacted, any follow-up, any responses, etc. I would do that for at least 3 months to ensure you have a paper trail demonstrating that you did not steal the animal. It's important to keep beating the bushes at all of these places every 3-5 days. It's also worth having the animal scanned to see if by any remote chance it is chipped. It's also a good idea to document what you did in terms of care (take photos, keep receipts). As someone indicated, the owner is likely frantic. In this case, at least the animal has landed in good hands.

LisaLew

DFW Texas
My family and I have already fallen in love with this sweet little tortoise. We are hoping to find his family, but we have decided that if we aren't able to then we would be more than happy for him to join ours! :)
How sweet! It’s surprising no one is posting. I’d keep checking - maybe he got out and the family is on vacation. Looks like if you can’t find his family he’s so lucky! He’ll need an indoor enclosure for the winter. Outdoors, he can’t tolerate temps below the 70’s well. Many people on here more experienced than I can provide details that might be helpful. Please do post back and let us know what happens! ☀️❤️

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
Does anyone know if there is a certain amount of time to claim a beautiful tortoise as your own? Just wondering..?

According to Wikipedia, if the true owner does not arrive to claim the property within a certain period of time (this is defined by the Torts Act 1977 as 3 months from the date of finding), the property is returned to the finder as his own.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
So, do you still have the tort ?
Did the owner come forward ?