What should I do with this one?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Found this red-footed tortoise in my backyard. It's definitely not a native here as I live in Cleveland, Ohio. Not sure what I should do. Would it be safe to let it go considering it's not native?
That's definitely someone's pet. Don't let it go. It's got to be a nearby neighbor that lost it. If you let it go it will die when winter comes.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Found this red-footed tortoise in my backyard. It's definitely not a native here as I live in Cleveland, Ohio. Not sure what I should do. Would it be safe to let it go considering it's not native?
Look around your neighborhood for signs posted on poles saying "Lost Tortoise". If you don't see any, try calling a couple of the veterinarians in your area to see if they might have gotten a call from the owner asking if anyone reported finding it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look at the lost and found for your craigslist.com area.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow, a good looking LOST REDFOOT, The poor owner is right now frantically on hands n knees looking for this guy. Knocking on neighbors doors asking if they saw a tortoise. Wringing their hands, in tears. Hope we can find the owner.

Maybe a bored TV crew can pop by for a “missing tortoise” clip for the nightly local news!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
IN the meantime in case your guest gets hungry
DIET

Redfoots are very forgiving with diet, and in the wild, eat whatever they can find. Feed a large quantity of weeds and dark, leafy greens daily, enough so that there is always a little left over at the end of the day. Also include vegetables like shredded carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, etc.

While these are fruit eating tortoises, the fruits where they naturally live are much different than our sweet, sugary fruits. Fruits like cactus fruit, papaya, figs, hard melons, etc. are best, but they can also have fruits like strawberries, blueberries, apples, or any other sweet, edible fruit as part of a varied diet. Feed a piece of “good” fruit the size of the tortoise’s head once a day, or feed a larger amount a few times a week. Mix in “sugary” fruits for variety.

For protein, Redfoots generally eat invertebrates. They should be fed a small amount of earthworms, night crawlers, superworms, dubia roaches, snails, or slugs once or twice a month.

Don’t worry if the amounts aren’t exact, and be sure to feed a varied diet. Always check and see if a food item is edible if you are not sure.

Dust greens with calcium with D3/vitamins 2-3 times a week.

Be sure to have a large, shallow water bowl (Terra Cotta saucer) available at all times.

donatd

Cleveland, OH
e are fruit eating tortoises, the fruits where they naturally live are much different than our sweet, sugary fruits. Fruits like cactus fruit, papaya, figs, hard melons, etc. are best, but they can also have fruits like strawberries, blueberries, apples, or any other sweet, edible fruit as part of a varied diet. Feed a piece of “good” fruit the size of the tortoise’s head once a day, or feed a larger amount a few times a week. Mix in “sugary” fruits for variety.
I've been doing some research on how to feed this little guy and this is very helpful. Thank you so much!

KronksMom

Illinois
If no one ends up claiming him, tortoises make wonderful pets. Or even if you do find his family, you may have fallen so in love by that time that you end up finding one of your very own :)

donatd

Cleveland, OH
If no one ends up claiming him, tortoises make wonderful pets. Or even if you do find his family, you may have fallen so in love by that time that you end up finding one of your very own :)
My family and I have already fallen in love with this sweet little tortoise. We are hoping to find his family, but we have decided that if we aren't able to then we would be more than happy for him to join ours! :)

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
It is a good looking tortoise, I hope you find it's owner or else you have a nice tortoise.

jeannettep

Texas
I love our red foots, they come when I call them. Ok, they come cause I have food. But they love their head scratched. Since it's been raining too much 1 did not come so I found her, she made a nice little hole of mud & happily looking at me. They are really enjoyable & easy to take care of. I planted some plants in their yard they can eat. You may already have some in your yard.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Many thanks for rescuing this guy!
Just make sure your backyard is secure.....as you can see.....tortoises are escape artists.

Lisamarie931

Huntington Beach, Ca
I'll be sure to keep a look out. In the meantime my family will be keeping it in our backyard. Thank you!
They are crafty little climbers that’s how they get out in the first place. Keep a good eye on the little guy. We adopted ours from the humane society because he got out of someone’s yard, but they didn’t care for him very well. Now he is in his yard loving life, they are the most peaceful breed out of the 7 types I have. Loveable 100%

Attachments

• 6ECE8B06-924D-4CDB-A3E0-39678F449256.jpeg
    6ECE8B06-924D-4CDB-A3E0-39678F449256.jpeg
    766.8 KB · Views: 39