What should I do when I get my bearded dragon?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
What should I do when I bring my beardie home? For example, if it was a tortoise, you would soak it right away. Do you have to do anything like not feeding it for that day, etc?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't do anything special when I have gotten mine, but mine wasn't shipped.
If yours is being shipped, I would try feeding right away and maybe place in some warm water or spray incase he's thirsty from the shipping.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Mine won’t be shipped, but I am a bit ashamed to admit that I will be getting it from petsmart. I’m usually very against it, but they have such a good deal right now, and their enclosure is pretty good-IMG_0119.jpg
Are there any terrible risks with this?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Even tho pet chain stores don't have a good rep, sometimes if you get there early enough, you can prevent the animal from going thru the bad stuff. If you had other animals that would be adding to the original, then you would need to quarantine for a while. But if it is your first animal in the habitat, then it should be fine. Good Luck!!

DE42

Ive had a few. I'm assuming that you have the enclosure already set up.

A good bath would not hurt because i know that that is something they have not done. Its good to give them a good soak about once a week or so. It also helps them move their bowls. You can even use a soft to medium tooth brush later to give them a little scrub. My big boy loved that. But i would not do that the first time. Just get the water warm and place him/her in it. You dont want the water too high, just avout chest deep when its sitting up on its front legs.

After that place him or her in the enclosure and let him exsplore it and get used to it for a day or two before you feed him or her. At that point you can do some dusted crickets or roaches. Try to stay away from millworms. Every once in a while is ok but they are not a good staple protein source. Also start leaving fresh veggies everyday even if he is not eating them. I had the best luck with baby greens.

And one more note that I'm sure you already know but I feel obligated to say anyway. Please do not use sand. Its not good for them at all. Tile is awesome if you can do it.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sorry I am late here , but if I am not sure of the previous care received , I will generally give them a warm soak in a 50 / 50 pedialite / water mix for a day or 2 . This will help balance their electrolites , if they are out of whack from poor care . Just something I have done with all my reptiles if I was not sure . Happy Birthday also !
m0142.gif