What should I do about my Tortoise and his shell?

Rocky219

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
About 2 or so weeks ago I went to the vet because my Tortoise had some weird marks on his shell. The vet did not seem to sure about what is was but they said it was probably just bruises and not shell rot so they gave me some antibacterial scrub and silver sulfadiazine to put on the shell daily for 30 days. I did that and it started to look a lot better. Then I noticed that my Tortoise was acting lethargic so I went to the vet and it turns out we had the wrong UVB light. Also while I was there at the vet they said that I should stop using the scrub and cream because you can use too much chemicals. So I stopped and then noticed that it looked worse again so I started to use the creams every other day instead of daily. Should I keep doing this? The sulfadiazine stays on there for a while so when I give him a bath I worry about it getting in the water and him drinking it. Should I stop using the ointment forever? If I do stop and the shell gets worse again should I let it be? Sorry I know that this was a very confusing post. Any responses are much appreciated.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Your tort is too far away for most of us to see it. Can you post some pictures?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
what species of tortoise
what substrate
indoors or outside
what do you feed him
what brand/kind of light
what heat source
how large is the enclosure

Rocky219

Massachusetts
what species of tortoise
what substrate
indoors or outside
what do you feed him
what brand/kind of light
what heat source
how large is the enclosure
Hermann
Indoors (At this time of year)
Coconut fiber and cypress mulch
Kale, Arugula, Radicchio, Bok Choy, Escarole sometimes, and mazuri pellets twice a week
UVB T5 Florescent Reptisun, I do not know the basking spot wattage but it is usually between 92-98 in the basking spot
Indoor enclosure https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VRY6X58/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I have a lot bigger one outside

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Thank you for responding. Pictures I have a humidifier and 3 thermometers. On each one it says different things. I have a thermometer up high and when I put the humidifier right under that it said 55%.
It does look like just scratches. As far as I know shell rot normally occurs on the plastron. It seems like you’ve been taking good care of him!

Rocky219

Massachusetts
Maybe doublecheck out what could be causing these scratches. Like if he no longer fits in a hide or something else in his enclosure (s) he's getting caught on routinely.
Good idea. I will try and figure that out

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Did this start when he was outside?

Rocky219

Massachusetts
Did this start when he was outside?
No. He has not spent time outside this year since I got him this year. I have already built his outside enclosure in my garage though. He has always had these marks ever since I got him

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I originally thought that maybe another animal chewed on him. However, how does it get worse without what the vet gave you? Does it seem to spread or flake off? I am not an expert just asking

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I enlarged the picture and it does look like he's been chewed on, especially with the puncture type spot. At any rate , it's minor and not life threatening. However, if it gets worse, then you have to figure out what's chewing on him.

Rocky219

Massachusetts
I originally thought that maybe another animal chewed on him. However, how does it get worse without what the vet gave you? Does it seem to spread or flake off? I am not an expert just asking
Sorry for responding late. I do not think it gets worse without what the vet gave me but it just makes it better if that makes sense. I do not think it has spread or flaked off. It has always been in the same area.