What should I do about my Tortoise and his shell?

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
About 2 or so weeks ago I went to the vet because my Tortoise had some weird marks on his shell. The vet did not seem to sure about what is was but they said it was probably just bruises and not shell rot so they gave me some antibacterial scrub and silver sulfadiazine to put on the shell daily for 30 days. I did that and it started to look a lot better. Then I noticed that my Tortoise was acting lethargic so I went to the vet and it turns out we had the wrong UVB light. Also while I was there at the vet they said that I should stop using the scrub and cream because you can use too much chemicals. So I stopped and then noticed that it looked worse again so I started to use the creams every other day instead of daily. Should I keep doing this? The sulfadiazine stays on there for a while so when I give him a bath I worry about it getting in the water and him drinking it. Should I stop using the ointment forever? If I do stop and the shell gets worse again should I let it be? Sorry I know that this was a very confusing post. Any responses are much appreciated.
I think it looked better when you were using the creams, because the creams cosmetically improved the way it looks to you. You could use some coconut oil on those areas and it will make it look better and coconut oil is antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal.

Rocky219

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I think it looked better when you were using the creams, because the creams cosmetically improved the way it looks to you. You could use some coconut oil on those areas and it will make it look better and coconut oil is antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal.
Thank you! Good idea