What Shell Fungus Looks like

Th34cr0ws

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi,
My adult red foot spentvkist of last sumner outside (May-September). However, when I brought him in, I had to keep him in a dry enclosure. Despite having heat and uvb (although uvb is not necessarily required) I couldn’t replicate the enclosure as being outside bc I could not keep the humidity up. Recently, I have been noticing peeling on his plastron, and will not eat his greens. He will only eat peppers and strawberries which are his sweets he gets every once in a while. Plz help me, I do not want to take him to the vet and I do not think I can if I have to due to the covid-19....

Attachments

Jeloz

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi everyone!
Just bought a baby redfoot about a month ago, and noticed these small brown patches of discoloration on his underside... could this be shell rot? Shell_Rot.png
They definitely weren't there a few weeks ago.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi everyone!
Just bought a baby redfoot about a month ago, and noticed these small brown patches of discoloration on his underside... could this be shell rot? View attachment 289884
They definitely weren't there a few weeks ago.
That looks like the start of a light fungal issue.
Use a dab of the ATHLETES FOOT CREAM for a week to 10 days and it won't keep growing.
No big deal

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
Ga
I know we are on a fungus forum, but how often does this happen? What else can go wrong with a redfoot?
Not often, just make sure your Tortoise isn't constantly sitting on a wet surface. Keep the top layer of substrate dry and you shouldn't have an issue. If you do though it's really easy to treat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know we are on a fungus forum, but how often does this happen? What else can go wrong with a redfoot?
My Redfoot tortoises live outdoors.
I see some fungal issues about once a year. Always in the Summer rainy seasons after it has rained for 10 to 15 days. There's always one individual that loves sleeping in the mud.
Aside from fungus, which is usually not a big issue....I've seen heat stroke in Redfoot. They are very sensitive to high heat.
They MUST have a way to escape the sunlight.
Otherwise, they're a pretty robust species.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi,
My adult red foot spentvkist of last sumner outside (May-September). However, when I brought him in, I had to keep him in a dry enclosure. Despite having heat and uvb (although uvb is not necessarily required) I couldn’t replicate the enclosure as being outside bc I could not keep the humidity up. Recently, I have been noticing peeling on his plastron, and will not eat his greens. He will only eat peppers and strawberries which are his sweets he gets every once in a while. Plz help me, I do not want to take him to the vet and I do not think I can if I have to due to the covid-19....
I see nothing physically wrong.
And it's also common for Redfoot to get spoiled and refuse to eat certain items until they get very hungry

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Can shell fungus occur on the carapace? My guy has some white on his scutes. But it doesn’t seem powdery and doesn’t really come off. Will have pic soon.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Can shell fungus occur on the carapace? My guy has some white on his scutes. But it doesn’t seem powdery and doesn’t really come off. Will have pic soon.

Attachments