What Plants Should I Use For Enclosure??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I want to plant some live plants in my turtles cage, but don't know if some may be poisonous or not... I was thinking maybe a peace lily or a spider plant, maybe a Christmas cactus.. Any suggestions? Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I m pretty sure that spider plants are no good for a turtle, what type of turtle/tortoise is it?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Terry,or anyone), I was curious if you know what the flower is that is at the very top of the link Terry put on. It's not pictured, or at least I can't find it. It's before any wording. and it's blooming now where I live.
Thanks Nadine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Prinmel said:
it is a desert box turtle

I would love to see a pic of your turtle and his enclosure. This would help us make suggestions. http://tinypic.com/ makes it really easy. It automatically resizes and you don't have to sign up or give them any info. Just upload and copy/paste the IMG code.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I will make it easy, he is the size of my palm for right now he is in a 10 gallon tank, with gravel and sand. Pictures can be found on the "help!! he never opened his eyes after hatching 2 years ago" thread he has a food dish and a water dish and thats it! Im trying to spruce it up for him.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Well, the first thing I would do to spruce things up for him is ditch the ten gallon tank. Tanks are not good for box turtles, because they don't allow for good airflow or a good temperature gradient. It is also much too small, even for that tiny of a turtle. Adding things is going to make it smaller. He needs more room.

The quickest and easiest way to get a new enclosure is to go to a store like Walmart and buy an under the bed storage box. It will give him a LOT more floor space, and should cost no more than $15.

For substrate, sand is not the best choice. It irritates eyes and the creases between the limbs, and can cause impaction and death if ingested. Gravel is worse. It is rough on the shell and WILL cause impaction and death if accidentally ingested. I would switch it to either a coconut coir, which is sold in a brick under the names of Eco Earth or Bed a Beast, cypress mulch, or orchid bark. You need something that is going to hold some humidity.

Plants are a great idea, but they have to be fertilizer and pesticide free. It takes up to six months of outdoor exposure for plants to shed the chemicals that nurseries put on them. I would get somethings now and set them out side to start detoxing them.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
This is what I came up with for the new enclosure. It took me forever and a day but he seems happy. I used organic potting soil and grass out of my yard, we never fertilize or anything.

SDC13092.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It looks GREAT!!! Really nice job! I bet he is happier than a bug in a rug ;)

Very lucky little guy to have ended up with you :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Is there someplace where he could dig under, or a hide or something? Your enclosure in nice, but boxies love to dig and hide a bit. I just put a pile of reptile moss in a corner where mine can hide if they want to.

Is this it Nay?
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=391

If you click on the color of the plant, like blue, then all the blue plants come up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like a decent place for one to grow in IMHO

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Prinmel said:
I want to plant some live plants in my turtles cage

My favorite is buying a flat of edible plants (18X18). Locally I can get Dichondra. I have successfully been able to regenerate the food supply by broadcasting a broadleaf seed mix (for Mediterraneans) over the existing plants. By the time the kids mowed through, the seedlings are ready for harvest. :)

Keep watering every other day. Below is a snapshot of the flat I got on Mother's Day.
DSC00904.JPG

My next table will have 4 or more flats.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback all. I tried a piece of red fir bark but he climbed up it and that made me nervous, and I put him under it a few times and he quickly ran out. I am experimenting with places for him to dig. I have a little dish of grass clippings that he doesn't seem to notice, he walks through it but doesn't dig. Maybe I can let the grass grow tall on one side? I will keep trying stuff. But honestly, he really likes his food dish. That is were he sleeps. He just pulls his head in and sticks his shell up against the side. Otherwise he is parked under the light all day. He just sits there looking around and listening to what is going on. He walks around a lot now too. When I come over to see him he sticks his head up really high and turns his head side to side.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Give your little one enough mulch (cypress or other) to burough. I use the Forest Floor from Zoomed. keep it moist to simulate the moist soil in nature and to keep their shells smooth.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I added a small clay pot for a hide out, we'll see how it goes but he doesn't seem to want to be in it when I put him in it..he just wants to hang in his food dish :)

Status
Not open for further replies.