What MVB light should I buy for my Greek tortoise?

turtel.turtle

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello! I'm new to TortoiseForum, and I'll introduce myself first before asking my question. I am currently still in school and have newly decided to get a tortoise as a new addition to the family. I've loved turtles and tortoises my whole life, and just never got to buying one because I was afraid of the risk of him/her passing away under my care. I know how fragile a life can be, and I don't want to result in a death of such a magnificent animal because of my mistakes. Because of this, I've come here to ask a question.

Currently, I have not yet bought the tortoise, I am planning on buying a baby Greek tortoise after a week of research. With my searches and information gathering, I've found the house and substrate to buy for my tortoise. It is currently being shipped to me, and after I fully prepare my tortoise's enclosure, I will finally be ready to welcome him/her to my home.

The last thing I need to buy is a lighting. I want to buy an MVB light and was wondering what would be the best MVB light to buy. The specific brand, name, and place I can buy it(Amazon will probably work I'm assuming)

Thank you!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would not use an MVB. A regular incandescent bulb will give you the heat /light and a UVB 5.0/10.0 tube light would work. What are you using for regular heat and substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the care info for tortoise out in the world is wrong. Especially baby care. Babies need warmth, humidity and hydration. Daily soaks are important while they are at the breeders facility, but few breeders do this. Make sure you buy from the right breeder!

Here is the care info for Russians, which is the same for greeks:

Questions are welcome.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, great that you are doing your research first.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I too used the Mercury Vapor Bulbs, but after a while I learned that they're too strong for indoor enclosures and contribute to drying out the shell, which is one cause of pyramiding. So I switched out all the MVB and I now use the tube type fluorescent bulbs with a radiant heat panel for heat (on all the time).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi, and welcome!

I too used the Mercury Vapor Bulbs, but after a while I learned that they're too strong for indoor enclosures and contribute to drying out the shell, which is one cause of pyramiding. So I switched out all the MVB and I now use the tube type fluorescent bulbs with a radiant heat panel for heat (on all the time).
MVB...
I also stopped using those.
I watched a video on the Chameleonforum and saw where a keeper had two identical MVB. One put out a reading of around 3.0 and the other one put out over 45! So they suck for providing safe UV. And they are so large and hot that they dry out the whole enclosure and the tortoise.. On top of that, they often don't last very long and are expensive.
They are just not a good choice.

turtel.turtle

CA
Most of the care info for tortoise out in the world is wrong. Especially baby care. Babies need warmth, humidity and hydration. Daily soaks are important while they are at the breeders facility, but few breeders do this. Make sure you buy from the right breeder!

Here is the care info for Russians, which is the same for greeks:

Questions are welcome.

Thank you for the additional information!! At first I was going to buy from turtletown, but later realized that many people had bad experiences with it, and so settled on myturtlestore.com.

turtel.turtle

CA
Hi, and welcome!

Thank you for telling me! I'm really glad I asked about this before buying.

turtel.turtle

CA
I would not use an MVB. A regular incandescent bulb will give you the heat /light and a UVB 5.0/10.0 tube light would work. What are you using for regular heat and substrate?

Thank you for the advice! I don't understand what you mean by "regular heat", but I will be using a little bit of sand and coconut fiber husk from Eco Earth.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would not recommend sand as it may be ingested. As to regular heat think of your enclosure like your home. You have a dedicated heat source, but other thing come on and off that affect the overall temeprature so your thermostat accomadates for this. A CHE or RHP (Radiant Heat Panel) with a thermostat do the heating then you add UVB for vitamin D, A regular light (incadescent flood) could add extra overall light but also extra heat that could be a basking spot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the additional information!! At first I was going to buy from turtletown, but later realized that many people had bad experiences with it, and so settled on myturtlestore.com.
I don't know who that is or how they start their babies. I wouldn't buy from them until you know more. Read these two threads first. The first one will tell you what can happen when the breeder doesn't start them right. Its heart breaking, and you just have to watch them slowly die. You can spend hundreds or thousands with a vet, but it won't do anything in these cases. The damage is already done and can't be undone. The second thread will explain how it should be done.

If the seller at myturtlesource doesn't start new hatchlings in a warm damp brooder box for a week or so, soak babies daily, or if they keep them outside all day, then don't buy there.