What moss to use

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
None. They will eat the long fibered stuff and get impacted. The fine grade "dirt" stuff can burn their plastrons.

What do you want it for? What are you trying to accomplish with moss?

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
None. They will eat the long fibered stuff and their bakingget impacted. The fine grade "dirt" stuff can burn their plastrons.

What do you want it for? What are you trying to accomplish with moss?
I talked to a breeder of Russians and she said her hatchlings like to bury themselves in it under their basking bulb. I Just wanted different textures and things to make the enclosure fun for him to explore

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Russian will bury themselves under almost anything searching the cooler parts of the enclosure! Fine Grade Orchid bark has very much less MESS and holds mositure well with maintaining a fairly dry upper layer. Aids in keeping the humidity levels spot on and is very visually appealing.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Russian will bury themselves under almost anything searching the cooler parts of the enclosure! Fine Grade Orchid bark has very much less MESS and holds mositure well with maintaining a fairly dry upper layer. Aids in keeping the humidity levels spot on and is very visually appealing.
great! can this be purchased at a garden center

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Petsmart carries ZooMed reptibark which is fine grade orchid bark so you can compare prices. Some garden centers carry them just depends on the demand for orchid substrate

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I LOVE the Zoo Med Reptibark. It's just the right size pieces for baby tortoises to walk on. Trouble is, it's about $15 for a bag and that's quite expensive when you have more than one enclosure to fill.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I LOVE the Zoo Med Reptibark. It's just the right size pieces for baby tortoises to walk on. Trouble is, it's about $15 for a bag and that's quite expensive when you have more than one enclosure to fill.
I just bought some because it was on sale on my pet store. I just put a good bit in one spot by some plants for an "explore spot" for him, I do like it to

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Petsmart carries ZooMed reptibark which is fine grade orchid bark so you can compare prices. Some garden centers carry them just depends on the demand for orchid substrate
ok, that's what I got was ZooMed reptibark, I'll look to see if I can't find it cheaper else where of it's the same thing, thank you

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It is actually cheaper than small 4 gt bags, but nowhere as cheap if you could find a big bag at a local garden center. There is an Orchid Grower/Rehabber in Charlottesville so I will have to give them a call. The fine grade orchid bark just looks so nice and performs so well!

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
It is actually cheaper than small 4 gt bags, but nowhere as cheap if you could find a big bag at a local garden center. There is an Orchid Grower/Rehabber in Charlottesville so I will have to give them a call. The fine grade orchid bark just looks so nice and performs so well!
awesome!! thank you