What makes them eat better??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
Hello everyone!!So what do you guys/gals offer food all day or limit it?I have seen both on here, just looking for some input of what way makes them eat better!!My little sully will eat a little each time he passes his food dish.Is that normal?I pull his food 2-3 hours before lights out.Do you think he would be a better eater if he learns get it now before its gone or what?Thanks guys!!!! And he is gaining weight btw 12 g in 2 weeks..He weighs 86-88 g Hes 22-23 weeks old!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
My Little Sully Eats A Small Portion Then Wonders Around For A While, Lays Under The Heat And Goes Back!
Iv Heard One Mention When They Are In The Wild They Usually Eat And Walk Around And Eat More Till They Are Full :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I keep food available 24/7...part is what I purposely feed them in the mornings (spring mix/cactus/dark greens/Mazuri mix on different days) and part is what is growing naturally in their enclosures (grass and weeds, occasionally a bug or snail).

Thus, anytime they're hungry, they can eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most young sulcatas are big eaters, but occasionally you'll find one that is more mild mannered about the food. Doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. As long as they are steadily growing, which yours is, I wouldn't worry about it much. What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot and night? Appetite can be influenced by your temps.

I usually leave out food in the morning and if they eat it all up right away, I'll give them some more in the afternoon.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
My three leopards each eat differently... one eats nice and slow and sometimes falls asleep in the food bowl... one just gobbles everything up and waste's no time... and the other will ignore the food for a bit then come back and eat.
I know they are not the same as Sulcata's but just to give you an idea they don't all eat the same hehe :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My sulcata eats slow and steady, plus he has grass to graze on, my russians attack the food and act like they have not eaten in weeks,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's the usual routine for a tortoise:

Come out of the den in the early a.m. and sit in the sun to warm up.

Wander around, looking for good things to eat.

Go back into the den, scratch around, rearranging the dirt, then sleep away the day.

Go back outside in early evening and wander around looking for good things to eat.

Some tortoises do it differently but most of the time, this is a tortoise's life.

So, trying to match my tortoise keeping to nature, I get up in the a.m. and turn on all the tortoise lights. Then I go in the kitchen and wash and chop up the food. Then I place all the food in the enclosures. I leave it there all day long, and pick up the feeding tiles in the evening to toss what's left and clean the tiles.

But Laura had a good question.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I try to give my little guys small amounts of food three times a day. I place most on the feeding tile and then a little on rocks all around the enclosure. I only have two torts so I can spend more time on their feeding.

I try to give my little guys small amounts of food three times a day. I place most on the feeding tile and then a little on rocks all around the enclosure. I only have two torts so I can spend more time on their feeding.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Angi said:

Wow...weird echo in here! :p

M

Maggie Cummings

I give them an appropriate amount for them to eat, then when they stop eating and go to bed I pick up the food that's left and feed them again in the evening if they are babies, or feed the next day if they are older...

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Most young sulcatas are big eaters, but occasionally you'll find one that is more mild mannered about the food. Doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. As long as they are steadily growing, which yours is, I wouldn't worry about it much. What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot and night? Appetite can be influenced by your temps.

I usually leave out food in the morning and if they eat it all up right away, I'll give them some more in the afternoon.

Cool side is 80-82
warm side with humid hide that he loves 90-93
basking area 100-105
night temps 83-86
Everything is on thermostats and four thermometers.I am right now in the process of tuning my new power sun 100w i bought today that is over his basking area.I have a 60w?che and a small under tank heater under his night time hide ambient temp in the hide is 83-85 but he can burrow down to get 100-103 if he lays right on the bottom for night time and i have a 65 w basking lamp over his warm side humid hide!!

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Laura said:
maybe he doenst like what you are feeding?
whats on the menu?

Everything!!!!!!!!!!Every kind of green they sell in my huge local grocery store,Mazuri soaked and mashed,grasses weeds clover and dandelion outside!!

Status
Not open for further replies.