What kinda tree is this from?

Bass.Isles

Ok y'all, first off, this Is NOT a mulberry leaf. That much I know. Although it does look very similar. These are leathery all over and a bit hairy. 20171024_204957.jpg20171024_204951.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I could be mistaken, but look up sassafras and see if it looks familiar.

Bambam1989

East Texas
That's not sassafras. A dead give away for the sassafras is that it will have two different looking leaves on the same tree. If I remember correctly..
Almost looks like a fig leaf to me at first glance. But now I'm thinking maybe a sycamore? Gah Google here I come

Bambam1989

East Texas
It FELT like a fig leaf, but some of them were over 10 inches long. And the tree itself was like at least 25 ft tall, so not a fig tree.
I personally had a fig tree back in Texas that was quite massive. It stood taller than our house and it's leaves were almost a foot long:eek:
It totally depends on the variety of fig tree and how rich it's soil. I believe mine was a brown turkey fig..
I have a small one planted in our pasture here that is not well established and the leaf is shaped slightly different. Let me see if I can find any kind to match yours online.. i am not saying I know that it is a fig for sure but it's my best guess

Bambam1989

East Texas

Bass.Isles

Well I'm in Florida and a lot of our "soil" is just silty sand. But whatever these trees are, have become totally invasive here in recent years. Like, they are everywhere! A lot of people here refer to them as "French Mulberry" trees, although they are not at all the beautyberry, which is more commonly known as the French mulberry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It FELT like a fig leaf, but some of them were over 10 inches long. And the tree itself was like at least 25 ft tall, so not a fig tree.

My parents have a bunch of those same trees lined up along their back fence, so I really want to know what it is and if its edible for tortoises.

Time to call in the big guns!

@Iochroma

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Look up paper mulberry please. My husband thinks that's what you got.
Figs are not invasive so that blew my theory out of the water..

That does look pretty close… Do you know if its edible?

I'm going to have to go get pics of my parent's trees and then take a sample to Sandy at my local nursery.