What kind of UVB lamp suit to my baby tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

relaxkuma123 said:
What does MVP stand for?

Mercury Vapor Bulb...it's UVB and heat all in one...and other stuff too I guess...Isn't corey the bulb expert?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
maggie3fan said:
relaxkuma123 said:
What does MVP stand for?

Mercury Vapor Bulb...it's UVB and heat all in one...and other stuff too I guess...Isn't corey the bulb expert?

I hope you meant Cory (spikethebest ) by no means am I a bulb expert :p But ya I would get a 100 watt Solar Glo I see the web site only has 160 watt can you get a 100 watt or are those the only ones you can get?:)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
With the options you're given...the best choice would be the RPT 2193.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
relaxkuma123 said:
What kind of UVB lamp suit to my baby tort?
I have baby sulcata, leopard, indian star and red foot.

1) What's different between UVB5, UVB8, UVB10?
and which one is best suit for my baby torts above.

2) How many watt is recommended?

http://www.repti-playground.com/?cid=1202494&subid=221456

Ekkapat
Thailand

There are three basic kinds of UVB bulbs-

- Traditional fluorescent bulbs. These offer a cool, even light and can usually cover a larger area. The actual UVB levels are generally rather low, so the bulbs need to be rather close to the animals for the best effect- usually about 12" over the shells.
- Coiled or bent fluorescent bulbs. These fit in standard light sockets and are often less expensive, otherwise they are similar to standard fluorescents in levels and use. The 'bent in half' styles are usually OK, but the coiled versions can create a 'hot spot' that shoots so much UV out of the top of the bulb that it might cause eye problems. If you use a coiled bulb, position it so it points at a wall or something rather than at the tortoises.
- Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB). This is a spotlight-style bulb designed to give off light, heat, and UVB. They offer the most UVB of the various styles, but they can also be very bright and hot, especially in smaller habitats. On the other hand, because they do emit so much UVB, you can usually mount them a little higher.

There is no standard way to measure UVB for bulbs, so some makers assign them numbers. If a company calls their bulbs 5, 8, and 10 it means that the 10 offers about twice as much UVB as the 5. Another company may use 'UVB' and 'Low-UVB', or similar terms. This is kind of helpful, but neither version really tells us how much UVB the bulb is putting out.

Baby torts do not generally like a lot of light, so I would use whatever option gave me the most UVB for the least light intensity. A MVB would be OK since it is a good overall option, but then you want to make sure there is a lot of shade offered- not just one hide.

The amount of UVB most bulbs give off is significantly lower than what the sun would do. If your tortoises can get about an hour or two a week of good, unfiltered sunlight, then the UVB bulb is not a big deal.

If they cannot get sunshine, you may want to think about making sure they get a little extra vitamin D in their diet somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.