what kind of turtle is this ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
tort 168.PNGtort 168.PNGdoes anyone know what kind of turtle is this ??

Last edited by a moderator:

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
thank u s much !! :D i been wondering what kind of turtle it is for about a month !

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
no is not mine i wish it was , it belongs to my friend but i look so weird to me because i never saw anything like it ,my friend could not tell me what kind it was because he bought it and didn't ask any questions he bought it becase it was pretty!! lol

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Team Gomberg said:
of course you would know the answer!

does it have a "common name"?

Big head turtle

Mega - cephalum

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Team Gomberg said:
Big head turtle...nice

Very scary that your friend would buy a turtle he doesn't know anything about.. ??

i know ! i feel bad for the poor turtle :/ i hope he is taking good care of it and feeding it right ,is not okay to buy any king of animal just because they are pretty :/

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Especially considering the extremely specialized care this species requires. If you cared to, I'd tell your friend to start researching NOW, or this beautiful turtle won't last long with basic "turtle" care.
These guys live in mountain streams with very cold aerated water, and are probably as tough as any turtle to keep healthy in captivity. Of the 300+ turtles out there, there probably couldn't be a single worse turtle to buy based only on looks.

Very sad story that gives us keepers a bad name. No offense to you at all. Just sad to see. And the seller should have educated your friend a little, but this is the world we live in.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
i told him the scientific name of the turtle species he has, i hope he is doing his homework now ,,,im gonna keep an eye on him and the baby turtle so i can make sure he takes care of it ,, i know it is sad to know people that just buy animals just because of how they look ,i just hope everything changes with time and people educate them selfs before buying any kind of animal

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
It may be tough to find good care info on them via the internet. This is a species that there will not be caresheets for, and it's not like you can find similar species to mirror your husbandry efforts after. These are just about as one-of-a-kind as animals come. I'm fearful that this will be a losing battle from the beginning.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Anthony P said:
It may be tough to find good care info on them via the internet. This is a species that there will not be caresheets for, and it's not like you can find similar species to mirror your husbandry efforts after. These are just about as one-of-a-kind as animals come. I'm fearful that this will be a losing battle from the beginning.

Russ has one on the TTPG or the ATC site, it's also in his book. They're pretty easy to keep as long as they have the couple things they need.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
I thought Russ' book may have had one.

I haven't done more than "stop by" on the TTPG site in a while, since most of it hasn't been updated since 2011, and I haven't heard back from them via email for over a year and a half! So I didn't know he had a caresheet there.

I wan't to get membership for the entire TurtleRoom all at once, but I can't get an email back. He emailed my wife back when she bought me Amanda Ebenhack's book a while back, but no responses for me.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Anthony P said:
I thought Russ' book may have had one.

I haven't done more than "stop by" on the TTPG site in a while, since most of it hasn't been updated since 2011, and I haven't heard back from them via email for over a year and a half! So I didn't know he had a caresheet there.

I wan't to get membership for the entire TurtleRoom all at once, but I can't get an email back. He emailed my wife back when she bought me Amanda Ebenhack's book a while back, but no responses for me.

Pay for the membership and then email him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seriously. Where on earth did he just happen to buy something so rare and precious? Can you ask your friend if he'd be willing to sell it? I'll give him whatever he wants for it and I'll pay for overnight shipping too.

I'll send him 10 "pretty" turtles in trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.