What kind of turtle is this?

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
Someone gave my parents this turtle he found, but I'm not sure if this is a red ear or not… could anyone help me?mmexport1488810580423.jpg

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
That is by far the prettiest red ear that I have ever seen! I'm with Mark, I have NEVER see one with the scutes like that, that is crazy! You have a jewel!

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
Thanks!! I believe the friend found it outside somewhere and brought it back. My parents decided to release it back to the nature…

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
looks a lot like a NA wood turtle shell ?

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
My parents live in the east of China. Close to Shanghai.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope they didn't release it. It's not native to China and could cause the native turtle population some problems.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
I share your concern. They told me they already released it because the poor thing didn't want to eat. They thought if it came from outside, it should be able to survive out there… it weighs about 3 pounds. I guess it is an adult.
Red ear slider is hugely popular in China as pet. Lots of people also release them outside…

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
I think so too. I used to have red ears as pet when I was a kid there. But it was before internet, and no heating in cold winter. None could survive for long at home...