Harrisburg . Pa
Hello , I have to female eastern box turtles . I live in Pa and my

question is, what is the most effective way to safely hibernate them ,

I currently have them in a outdoor enclosure Thank you

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Does the 55 tank have a lid? That will help a lot to keep the humidity up. I used aluminum foil when I first got my tortoise. Cheap and works. If you do build a wooden home be sure to paint it so the wood doesn't mold. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
Does the 55 tank have a lid? That will help a lot to keep the humidity up. I used aluminum foil when I first got my tortoise. Cheap and works. If you do build a wooden home be sure to paint it so the wood doesn't mold. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Currently it only has half a lid, thats all the people who gave me her had. For now I have a drawer on top lol but this weekend I should be adding plexi glass or something. Tinfoil for now seems like a good idea Im deff going to do that lol and yeah I will paint the wood :) thank you! :)

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
Hello , I have to female eastern box turtles . I live in Pa and my

question is, what is the most effective way to safely hibernate them ,

I currently have them in a outdoor enclosure Thank you
Hi Im sorry im not really sure? I've only owned my box turtle for almost a week now

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
Yep that's an Asian box turtle. Cuora flavomarginata. These guys need quite a bit more moisture and damp substrate than the chunks you got him on. I'd also start feeding on a stone so it's beak can get filed down. Adjusting the diet too with help with that, as it seemed to be not a normal growth of overgrown beak(if that makes sense). Lots of plants for them to hide under and much moist and damp enclosure. I would add a couple bricks of peat moss or coco coir to that substrate and mist him/fog him a few times a day.

What are you feeding him now?
Do you know if its okay to put sand ontop of the dirt stuff? Shes getting a lot of nats even though I clean out all the food daily and I know sand on dirt keeps the nats away

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I wouldn't use sandy they can ingest it and cause issues. Gnats are a pest but won't hurt anything. Maybe change the substrate out.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Do you know if its okay to put sand ontop of the dirt stuff? Shes getting a lot of nats even though I clean out all the food daily and I know sand on dirt keeps the nats away
Bake the substrate :) I've never personally done it, but there are lots of ways on the internet...

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
Incase anyone else has the same problem I put some apple cider vinegar in a jar with 2 drops of dish soap and put a funnel I made out of cardboard in it. The gnats and fruit Flys go in and can't get out and fall in the mixture and die. It's been working really wel