what kind of tortoise am i?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikeD

5 Year Member
Got this little guy today and have no idea what kind he is. I need to know so i can properly take care of him please help.

Attachments

• IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 80

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Looks like a dry and pyramided red foot to me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
DITTO...suuuuper dry .....:(

Oh yeah....Welcome to the Forum :D and a very beautiful tort....nice feet and nails on him toooooo.....:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi spikeD:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

The redfooted tortoise comes from South America. They require a moist/humid environment, something of which I believe your tortoise has been missing for most of its life.

First order of business is to set it up in a large tort table (of course, outside would be better) with moist substrate. You can read quite a bit about the redfooted tortoises in one of our member's (madkins007) library:

Tortoise Library

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

spikeD

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the help and info. I have a lot of reading to do. As for the set up I have him in a 200gal tank (he came with it) it was dirty but I washed it out well. Went out and spent some money on the little guy. UVB lighting, new bedding and fresh fruit along with his normal diet of tortoise food. New hiding spot for him in the tank. And I have tilted the tank so he now has a moist heated side and a dry warm side (temp in suggested ranges) Took him to petsmart and he was identified as a red foot so Malalol you got it. I also got him a shell conditioner to apply once a week. I could go on and on with the extras and how much this "free cheap pet" is costing. But I am happy now knowing he will be cared for correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.