What kind of Tort is this???

SandieLee

Location (City and/or State)
Omahan BE
I rescued this poor little guy. Took him to the vet and the vet said it is in terrible shape. We have started him on plenty of fresh high calcium veggies as well as supliment calcium. His shell is extremely soft. Vet is not sure what kind of tort. I was told a Herman Tort from the people who I rescued it from. They obviously did not know how to care for him.

Attachments

• IMG_3797.jpg
    IMG_3797.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3798.jpg
    IMG_3798.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3799 2.jpg
    IMG_3799 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's a Hermanns. And he's suffering with a very bad case of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Good job on the high calcium veggies, but you also need a GOOD UVB light to make the calcium work inside his body. (either the light or the sun)

SandieLee

Omahan BE
Thank you so very much. I have him in a run outside.. good sunlight but lots of shade as well. Anything particular to feed him.. He eats anything I put down. He was only fed water turtle pellets. I am sure that is why he looks and probably feels so bad. I have him totally seperate from my Russian Tort.

SandieLee

Omahan BE
Yes, it's a Hermanns. And he's suffering with a very bad case of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Good job on the high calcium veggies, but you also need a GOOD UVB light to make the calcium work inside his body. (either the light or the sun)

SandieLee

Omahan BE
Thank you so very much. I have him in a run outside.. good sunlight but lots of shade as well. Anything particular to feed him.. He eats anything I put down. He was only fed water turtle pellets. I am sure that is why he looks and probably feels so bad. I have him totally seperate from my Russian Tort. Not sure if I should soak him. his shell is really soft

ZenHerper

New Jersey

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I rescued this poor little guy. Took him to the vet and the vet said it is in terrible shape. We have started him on plenty of fresh high calcium veggies as well as supliment calcium. His shell is extremely soft. Vet is not sure what kind of tort. I was told a Herman Tort from the people who I rescued it from. They obviously did not know how to care for him.
Thank you for rescuing this poor little guy. Hopefully he can improve some with the good care you give him. His beak is in desperate need of a trim. Did the vet trim it during your visit? His beak being so overgrown will make it challenging for him to eat and is at risk of breaking off or cracking. What have you named this little fellow?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hi,
Where did you rescue?
Is the bottom of his shell soft? If so, this might not be good.
I