What is your weekly feeding routine for your young sulcata?

Katiehu

Location (City and/or State)
SOUTH CAROLINA
Please don’t comment the articles to read about a care guide. I feel like anytime I post I don’t get answers just the “read the care sheet”.
I’m just curious what y’all feed on a weekly basis. My sulcata is one years old. Gets grass everyday. Pellets with calcium once a week. Trying to see when to feed him veggies.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. We really never fed our Sully veggies. What we did feed, depended on the season. In Summer, dandelion greens & flowers, hibiscus flowers, opuntia pads, grape leaves, plantain leaves & other misc weeds and grass. A cup or so of Mazuri once a week. In Winter, dandelion leaves, mixed romaine.

How large is your Sully? How much you feed daily will depend on their size. Since they are grazers, I tended to feed various things throughout the day.

Happy Torting

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sulcata is about 115lbs. He lives outside in a large grassy yard and has an insulated, heated shed that he goes into on his own every evening. His main food item is the grass and weeds he grazes on. Occasionally I cut a branch off the grape vine or mulberry tree and toss it into his yard. After I have fed the tortoises that don't have anything to graze on, if there's anything left over, I toss it into his yard. This consists of kale, turnip greens, bok choy, dry goods from Kapidolo Farms, bell peppers, romaine, green leaf lettuce, endive, escarole, raddichio, etc. He gets that two or three times a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please don’t comment the articles to read about a care guide. I feel like anytime I post I don’t get answers just the “read the care sheet”.
I’m just curious what y’all feed on a weekly basis. My sulcata is one years old. Gets grass everyday. Pellets with calcium once a week. Trying to see when to feed him veggies.
This really depends on where in the country someone is and also the season. The bottom line is to feed lots of grass or grass hay, and then add in a variety of weeds, leaves, flowers, and succulents.

What I feed is totally random and depends on what is available seasonally. I usually use a bucket and make a mix of whatever is available. Mallow, grass, lavatera flowers, sow thistle, broadleaf or narrow leaf plantain, fresh cut alfalfa, gazania flowers, hollyhock leaves and flowers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, clover, mulberry leaves, grape leaves, etc...

Other days they will get spineless opuntia pads or Mazuri.

When weeds and leaves aren't available, I'll use grocery store greens with amendments added. I favor endive and escarole, but also mix in arugula, cilantro, and assorted others occasionally. I amend with soaked Timothy hay pellets made for horses, ZooMed forrest or grassland pellets, herbal hay from tortoisesupply.com, or one of the many dried leaf options from @Kapidolo Farms .

All of this is explained almost the same way in the care sheet. That is why people keep referring you to the care sheet.