What is wrong with my tortoise's eyes?

TortoiseOwner96

My tortoise's eyes have been pretty bad for a while. At first it was just the left eye but now I think it's starting to happen to the right eye. I don't know if you can see it in the pictures but his left eye is sort of swollen and looks really foggy to me, they're supposed to be shiny right? He has been rubbing his left eye a lot and barely ever opens it. Now the right one too ?! I'm so worried. What if he goes blind? I'm so sad. If anyone can tell me what this is and what I can do to fix it, I would be very grateful as I am a new tortoise owner and have no experience with this.Thank you in advance.

IMG_20170318_135110.jpg IMG_20170318_135129.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi there

What type of UVB lamp are you using?

Is it a compact bulb that looks similar to one of these?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489840030.785589.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489840066.230939.jpg

If so, turn it off immediately. This type of bulb frequently causes eye problems in torts and we don't recommend their use.

You will need to replace a bulb like that with a tube UVB light like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489840153.997067.jpg
or a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) The MVB is combined with a basking bulb so you can take out your plain basking bulb.

Your tort will be fine without UVB light for a few days while you replace a compact bulb and you should see rapid improvement in the eyes.

If you don't have a compact bulb, then we need pictures of your enclosure and lights and details of temperatures (warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum) and humidity. Actually, it wouldn't do any harm to give us all that anyway to check over :)

TortoiseOwner96

First of all thank you so much for your response.
Secondly, unfortunately my set up for the little guy is lacking a lot in the temperature department. My little sister got this tortoise around a week ago and as can be expected she didn't have any actual interest in taking care of it, so I had to take charge a few days ago. The guy at the pet store gave her a tiny plastic dish to put him in and actually gave her sea turtle food to feed him. Needless to say, it was heartbreaking. So I am still in the process of gathering all the things he needs, however I live in a third world country where finding proper equipment is very hard and very expensive so I had to improvise a lot. I am really doing my best with what I have. Just yesterday I found a big tub where he can have room to walk around. I used coco coir for the base and I packed it down, and I put a soaking bowl for him which he has been using a lot since I put him in there. I have been feeding him different types of leafy greens since last week (back when he had no proper home) and today I got some multivitamins and calcium to try and sprinkle them on his food. I put him in the sun for a few hours a day instead of trying to find a UV lamp because those are very hard to find here. The only thing missing is the heating lamp. I am doing my best to search for one, I should have one within a few days if all goes well. I try to keep the room where he lives moderately warm to make up for the lack. Also, I think it's important to tell you that he wasn't drinking too much water before yesterday because he had no real living space and therefore only had access to water for a few minutes each day when I would soak him. I know, it is very very sad. Before last week I had absolutely no clue of how to care for a turtle; within one week I had to learn everything so if there is something I am doing wrong please feel correct me.

TortoiseOwner96

Oh and also, I try to keep the substrate moist but there is no way for me to actually measure it as I don't have the tools needed. :( I'm so sad

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Is it eating and what are you feeding? Eye issues can sometimes be a consequence of dietary deficiencies.

TortoiseOwner96

Is it eating and what are you feeding? Eye issues can sometimes be a consequence of dietary deficiencies.

Yes, he is eating different types of leafy greens. I'm not sure what they are but I found something at the store called "spring mix" with different types of greens. Although, he doesn't eat a lot, but I don't exactly have any frame of reference so I'm just assuming it isn't much based on the fact that he never actually finished a whole leaf.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Where do you live @TortoiseOwner96? We may have a member with local knowledge that can help you source things.

This little guy needs daily soaks of at least 30 minutes in warm water. Use a high sided, flat bottomed bowl that your tort can't see over or through. The water needs to be deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron (undershell)

In fact, twice daily soaks would do no harm to start with.

You really need to get the heat sorted out quickly.

A tiny pinch of calcium powder (or finely ground clean egg shell) sprinkled on food three times a week will help with calcium deficiency as long as you can get this tort outside for UVB as you are doing

TortoiseOwner96

I live in Amman, Jordan. It would be a huge help if there is a member from here who can help me.
Anyways, yes he spends a lot of time in that soaking bowl, at least half an hour a day. However, the bowl isn't exactly as you specified, I'll have to go buy a substitute. And also, I haven't been paying much attention to the temperature of the water, thank you for alerting me.

And actually, about the powder, its been very hard to get the powder on his food. The leaves I give him are usually whole thus making it hard to spread the powder on the whole leaf. Should i try to mash up the leaves? Is there a certain technique to getting him the calcium more easily?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only know one other person from Amman - I'll send her a shout-out - @Gillian Moore

If you use too much calcium they won't eat it. Just use a tiny pinch between your thumb and index finger then mix it into the food well so it an't beseen.

Spritz the greens with water.

You MUST get a light over this baby. He has to be able to get his core temperature up to at least 80F degrees or he won't eat. Even though it may be warm in your house, he still needs a light over the habitat. Any old light will do until you can buy a good UVB light.

TortoiseOwner96

Oh then I guess maybe he didn't eat because I used too much of the vitamins.
Yes, for now I am using a normal lamp until tomorrow when I can go out and look for a heating bulb as soon as I can.
Thank you all for your responses!