What is wrong with my Russian tortoise?

Sheldonsspot

Location (City and/or State)
HOUSTON
I got a Russian tortoise online almost 3 months ago. The breeder obviously neglected him because when he arrived, his shell is covered in different dents and scratches from what I can only assume was a bad environment. Anyways, everything was going smoothly until about a week after I got him he developed an eye infection. I cleaned it twice a day until the infection went away and he was fine.

Everything was fine until about a little less than 2 weeks ago when his eye infection came back in both eyes. I had eye drops but I wanted to make sure there wasn't any dirt or anything that could be rinsed out. I waited two or three days before administering drops. I put drops in his eyes for five days, gently using the corner of a towel to wipe the gunk (which was a greenish brown goop that was stuck to both of his eyes and matted them shut) and his eye infection has gone away. He wouldn't eat when he had the infections both times so I assumed he would be eating by now but he hasn't eaten at all. I feed him lettuce, aloe, and squash usually because money has been tight but I have been trying to mix up his diet. However, he hasn't been eating and now his poop is liquid (he wasn't pooping when he wasn't eating so I dont know what's going on). It's a brown liquid that is slowly coming out and won't stop. I only noticed it about 30 minutes ago and I immediately started soaking him. With the rate the liquid is coming out of him, i think it had been coming out of about an hour when I found him.

What do I do? How do I get him to eat? How do I get him to stop pooping? Is he okay? Please help me!

Here's some other information that may be helpful:
-Substrate: his enclosure is divided into two parts that he can come and go in as he pleases, half is peat moss and the other is sand
-I do have him on uv light but only on the peat moss side and I only have a heat lamp on the sand side
-He doesn't move alot so I generally have to move him to the peat moss side in the morning and I let him sleep under the heat lamp at night
-His food and water is on the peat moss side
-I have a large aloe vera plant planted on the peat moss side
-I try to take him out side for ag the very least 30 minutes a day if the weather is nice, I'm in Missouri so it changes constantly

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I got a Russian tortoise online almost 3 months ago. The breeder obviously neglected him because when he arrived, his shell is covered in different dents and scratches from what I can only assume was a bad environment. Anyways, everything was going smoothly until about a week after I got him he developed an eye infection. I cleaned it twice a day until the infection went away and he was fine.

Everything was fine until about a little less than 2 weeks ago when his eye infection came back in both eyes. I had eye drops but I wanted to make sure there wasn't any dirt or anything that could be rinsed out. I waited two or three days before administering drops. I put drops in his eyes for five days, gently using the corner of a towel to wipe the gunk (which was a greenish brown goop that was stuck to both of his eyes and matted them shut) and his eye infection has gone away. He wouldn't eat when he had the infections both times so I assumed he would be eating by now but he hasn't eaten at all. I feed him lettuce, aloe, and squash usually because money has been tight but I have been trying to mix up his diet. However, he hasn't been eating and now his poop is liquid (he wasn't pooping when he wasn't eating so I dont know what's going on). It's a brown liquid that is slowly coming out and won't stop. I only noticed it about 30 minutes ago and I immediately started soaking him. With the rate the liquid is coming out of him, i think it had been coming out of about an hour when I found him.

What do I do? How do I get him to eat? How do I get him to stop pooping? Is he okay? Please help me!

-Substrate: his enclosure is divided into two parts that he can come and go in as he pleases, half is peat moss and the other is sand
-I do have him on uv light but only on the peat moss side and I only have a heat lamp on the sand side
-He doesn't move alot so I generally have to move him to the peat moss side in the morning and I let him sleep under the heat lamp at night
-I try to take him out side for ag the very least 30 minutes a day if the weather is nice, I'm in Missouri so it changes constantly
I hate to inform you but there are a few things that you are doing that could be causing this. What kind of lights are you running, are they the coiled type? What are the temps, warm side, cool side, basking, and night heat. Sand is animation risk and may be irritating his eyes. What size enclosure do you have? The foods you are feeding him also need a bit of attention. Was the aloe bought at a store recently? You should wait about a year before feeding anything bought at a nursery or store unless it was produced for human consumption. They are raised with pesticides which could harm your tortoise.We have a russian tortoise section. Please go there and read the care sheets,it will tell you what you need to do to make things better. I hope this helps some. After you have read the care sheets, come back with any questions you may still have. And, Welcome to the forum.

Sheldonsspot

HOUSTON
I hate to inform you but there are a few things that you are doing that could be causing this. What kind of lights are you running, are they the coiled type? What are the temps, warm side, cool side, basking, and night heat. Sand is animation risk and may be irritating his eyes. What size enclosure do you have? The foods you are feeding him also need a bit of attention. Was the aloe bought at a store recently? You should wait about a year before feeding anything bought at a nursery or store unless it was produced for human consumption. They are raised with pesticides which could harm your tortoise.We have a russian tortoise section. Please go there and read the care sheets,it will tell you what you need to do to make things better. I hope this helps some. After you have read the care sheets, come back with any questions you may still have. And, Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the UV lights are coiled and the aloe was given to me by a family friend who was tired of the aloe sprouting babies so she gave it to me. It's a few years old I think. And i dont have a thermometer to check the heat, but I'll definitely buy one and check it immediately. Thank you for your help!!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Please give these a read-

Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

-Remove the sand immediately. It’s a huge impaction risk, as well as a skin, eye, nose, and cloaca irritant. This could be your problem.

-Aloe is a laxative, lettuce is mostly water, and squash is slightly high in sugar. Your tortoise cannot digest sugar well, and with the aloe and water from the lettuce, it’s likely one of the causes of his diarrhea.

Please post pictures of your tortoise, enclosure, and lighting :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yes, the UV lights are coiled and the aloe was given to me by a family friend who was tired of the aloe sprouting babies so she gave it to me. It's a few years old I think. And i dont have a thermometer to check the heat, but I'll definitely buy one and check it immediately. Thank you for your help!!

Coiled lights frequently cause eye burns, so definitely turn it off. You should be using a tube fluorescent.

It is extremely important that you know your temperatures with a cold blooded animal, so please be sure you get a digital thermometer with a probe or temp gun today. Be sure it’s digital and not an analog. Analogs are very inaccurate.

Make sure your basking spot temp is 95-100. Too cold, and they can’t digest their food and/or won’t be active.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
The coiled bulbs could also be harming his eyes. Get a long fluorescent tube uvb and use that instead. The aloe should be fine but again, it could be part of what is causing the diarrhea.

Changa

Ca

Changa

Ca
I am so sad that ur Russian Tortoise is is going through a lot and for u too. U see ur TR gets better and then things change :(
I am no expert and dont have a whole lot of money to take them in to see the Veterinarian. But you do have some serious things going on. I would hate for u to lose RT
I have two young Sultcas I have relied on Tortouse forum
for help from food, lighting, enclosure etc.
I read on one reply has a lot of insight on what your RT is going through I hope it helps

Changa

Ca
I am so sad that ur Russian Tortoise is is going through a lot and for u too. U see ur TR gets better and then things change :(
I am no expert and dont have a whole lot of money to take them in to see the Veterinarian. But you do have some serious things going on. I would hate for u to lose RT
I have two young Sultcas I have relied on Tortouse forum
for help from food, lighting, enclosure etc.
I read on one reply has a lot of insight on what your RT is going through I hope it helps
I pray every night to give me the skills and strength to take of my animals. 5 dogs, and two little Sultcas

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there. Can you please post some pictures of the tortoise and the enclosure to give us a better idea of what may be happening?
I agree with the advice you have been given so far! I have learned a lot from being here too.

Sheldonsspot

HOUSTON

Here's some pictures!!

Attachments

• 20190603_172728.jpg
    20190603_172728.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190603_172819.jpg
    20190603_172819.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190603_172823.jpg
    20190603_172823.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 20190603_172512.jpg
    20190603_172512.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 77

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It appears that your breeder isn’t a breeder at all. You likely have an adult, wild caught tortoise.

Please make the changes listed above, and keep in mind that your tortoise requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet :)

Sheldonsspot

HOUSTON
It appears that your breeder isn’t a breeder at all. You likely have an adult, wild caught tortoise.

Please make the changes listed above, and keep in mind that your tortoise requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet :)

Really? How can you tell he's wild caught? Just out of curiosity

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Really? How can you tell he's wild caught? Just out of curiosity

He’s an adult, and you mentioned that his shell is roughed up. Most adult Russians in America are taken from the wild instead of raised, and its especially apparent when their shells aren’t pyramided or “pretty”(not scratched, scuffed, etc.) like a captive bred one might be.

Sheldonsspot

HOUSTON
With him being a wild caught adult, would that explain a lot of his issues? Could a lot of this be stress/depression along with the mistakes I've made?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
With him being a wild caught adult, would that explain a lot of his issues? Could a lot of this be stress/depression along with the mistakes I've made?

If he is wild caught, it could be part of it, yes. However, it’s likely mostly caused by what was explained above, seeing as it only started 2 weeks ago if I’m not mistaken.

Sheldonsspot

HOUSTON

Also, how far away should my lights be from my tortoise/from the bottom of the enclosure?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also, how far away should my lights be from my tortoise/from the bottom of the enclosure?

At least a foot from the tortoise for basking (be sure you have one that emits light, not just a ceramic heat emitter), and 10-12 inches or different for a tube uvb depending on the brand. Be sure you have your coil turned off.

Sheldonsspot

HOUSTON
At least a foot from the tortoise for basking (be sure you have one that emits light, not just a ceramic heat emitter), and 10-12 inches or different for a tube uvb depending on the brand. Be sure you have your coil turned off.

Thank you! Why must I have a heat lamp that emits light?