WHAT IS THIS???!!!!!!???!?!?

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sebastopol
N2TORTS said:
Hummm... ok .. so maybe Soapstone,,,,eh?
It’s very soft for “stone” why we see carvings from it .On the hardness scale ( 1-10 ) it ranks a #1 while a diamond #10. It is also non-porous water can not penetrate it so it will not stain, like granite or marble. Another reason I was trying the marble test.... Its mostly made from magnetite, dolomite, chlorite, and talc. Alkalis and acids, which affect granite, marble, and slate, will not affect Soapstone.
Let’s try to determine if the piece that you have in your collection is true Soapstone, scrape some material off from the bottom of the piece. If it is real Soapstone, these shavings will feel like talcum powder, slippery to the touch

It's too hard to scrap off, I think your right, I don't think it's soapstone... Any other suggestions?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok ... I know this sounds crazy (I'll tell ya why later) .... but .. Take a needle and hold with some pliers ...Heat it up *RED HOT* see if you can push it thru the bottom of your piece.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
Ok, I'll do that tomorrow when I'm more awake and know what I'm doing. Lol :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Okie Dokie ... Good nite! .... this has been fun!
Thank you !
:)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
sulcata101 said:
Good Morning ...... Well.........? Try the hot needle trick ? :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
At first glance I thought it was just an artsy pendent. I know several people who wear similar things. But it is certainly an interesting find! I hope it's something really old!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
N2TORTS said:
sulcata101 said:
Good Morning ...... Well.........? Try the hot needle trick ? :)

Alright, sorry for the late response, it might take me a minute for me to get me supplies.

Again, so sorry for the late response, sorry for keeping yo guys waiting so long, and no, the needle did not go through it...

Any other experiments???

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Humming Jeopardy tune …..v^v^ la la la la la la la :p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The reason I asked about the hot needle is I wanted to see if we are dealing with some kind of “Resin Cast” they have come a long way in that field and some stuff made you would swear it was stone…and in actuality it’s a resin base product. The hot needle will melt/scar the resin ….and if it’s stone won’t do a thing …..

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
So that's good! It's sir king of organic material! Yay :D

sulcata101 said:

I meant to say SOME KIND of organic material lol

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
sulcata101 said:

sulcata101 said:

ha ha ha .... must have been the fumes!

ok... so it did not burn ... like you said " we got organics thus far" :D

Not sure how old you are but the rest of the old timers .. ya remember " Ellery Queen Show " This sorta reminds of it ... and supppaaa fun!

and no fizz with the vinger right ?... Im too lazy to scroll back in posts ... >heh<

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
N2TORTS said:
sulcata101 said:

sulcata101 said:

ha ha ha .... must have been the fumes!

ok... so it did not burn ... like you said " we got organics thus far" :D

Not sure how old you are but the rest of the old timers .. ya remember " Ellery Queen Show " This sorta reminds of it ... and supppaaa fun!

and no fizz with the vinger right ?... Im too lazy to scroll back in posts ... >heh<

Yah, I'm 13 by the way, so that's why I can only reply in the early morning and 4:00pm because of school, so yah. Any other suggestions of material?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Hat’s off to you … you are a very intelligent 13 yr old. What a joy to see……young inquisitive minds at work … way cool! :):D
Ok back to work … maybe obsidian ? …..I’m looking at some old and new references, let me keep digging .

and we might try another test......it also could be granite.... The term "granite" is used to cover a group of related stones, all of which have their origin deep in the earth’s molten mantle as opposed to The marble family – limestone, travertine, marble, onyx – starts out as sediment – animal skeletons and shells, plant matter, silt – at the bottom of bodies of water. After millions of years this solidifies (lithifies) into stone. Because its main component is calcium, it can be affected by acids such as vinegar ....why we were trying our test.;)

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
N2TORTS said:
Hat’s off to you … you are a very intelligent 13 yr old. What a joy to see……young inquisitive minds at work … way cool! :):D
Ok back to work … maybe obsidian ? …..I’m looking at some old and new references, let me keep digging .

and we might try another test......it also could be granite.... The term "granite" is used to cover a group of related stones, all of which have their origin deep in the earth’s molten mantle as opposed to The marble family – limestone, travertine, marble, onyx – starts out as sediment – animal skeletons and shells, plant matter, silt – at the bottom of bodies of water. After millions of years this solidifies (lithifies) into stone. Because its main component is calcium, it can be affected by acids such as vinegar ....why we were trying our test.;)

That's awesome, I just studied chemistry last week and we talked exactly about how limestone was created! Anyway, how do we know if its granite? And thank you :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Granite, which is an igneous rock, contains quartz, which is very hard, hence the scratch test .. It can be carved but………Alabaster is famous as a milky white mineral that can be translucent if carved thin enough when held to the light, Now with our Soapstone it should have a smooth, greasy, silky, milky luster, naturally cold even at room temp, and it should scratch easy with a butter knife… ( I know I asked you all of this before …just refreshing our memories…..us old timers have to do that ..;) It’s like re-booting the hard-drive ) Another guess is Alabaster….There are two types of alabaster. One is gypsum, which is used today. The other is calcite, which was used in ancient times including by the Ancient Egyptians.
I’m guessing some type of granite so far …..and there are different colors -below examples and how they get that color induced.
White granites are rich in potassium. Combinations of mica and quartz result in gray. Pink contains sodium and calcium rich feldspar………..
If we are guessing marble most marbles have distinct veins, swirls or bands, but there are exceptions….but all marbles will have calcite and/or dolomite and will react with acid, vinegar and oh yea lemon juice … you might need your Mag glass to check .. But there will be tiny bubbles or fizz if you pour these liquids on marble..
Of course I have not left out Quartzite or Travertine…..but this we can check . Grab your magnifying glass ….Check your sculpture dry with mag glass, does it have tiny pits , bubble pops ..?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
ok scratch marble off the list ....

and can you scratch it with a butter knife?