What is this? (white marks on wall)

CharlieS2020

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi today when I was misting my tortoise cage a saw these white things against the wall. I’m worried it is rot but my dad says it’s not. When I scrap it of it dose come of but it Leaves a powder. Has anyone else had this problum before I will post a photo but let me know if you need more.7C61B94D-BD8A-4776-8789-0543D451BA5E.jpeg

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Hi today when I was misting my tortoise cage a saw these white things against the wall. I’m worried it is rot but my dad says it’s not. When I scrap it of it dose come of but it Leaves a powder. Has anyone else had this problum before I will post a photo but let me know if you need more.View attachment 322035
If it is a concrete wall, it is probably effloresence. This is when minerals leach out due to exposure to water. It is not mold or rot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't see anything in your pics, but it sounds like mineral deposits. Wood isn't not a suitable enclosure material since it can't stand up to the necessary constant moisture of the substrate.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
I can't see anything in your pics, but it sounds like mineral deposits. Wood isn't not a suitable enclosure material since it can't stand up to the necessary constant moisture of the substrate.
What can I do about that?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They excreta urate as part of their system. how loose or lumpy can depend on hydration. Having it sprayed on side of enclosure tells me they discharged walked on it and then scratched the wall. Nothing to worry about and part of tortoise life.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What can I do about that?
As ZERO said, if its mineral deposits creeping up, you don't need to do anything. You can wipe it away if you want.

I'd like to see a better picture from inside the enclosure to ID what it is we are looking at. That is the first step.

Next step for you, which will come anyway at some point, is to get a non-wooden enclosure that can stand up to the moisture.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
As ZERO said, if its mineral deposits creeping up, you don't need to do anything. You can wipe it away if you want.

I'd like to see a better picture from inside the enclosure to ID what it is we are looking at. That is the first step.

Next step for you, which will come anyway at some point, is to get a non-wooden enclosure that can stand up to the moisture.
What could I add on the walls insted for when I get a new cage.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What could I add on the walls insted for when I get a new cage.
Since I have no idea what is on the wall, I don't know what to do to prevent it in the future.

Best to make enclosures out of expanded PVC.