What is this plant?

PumkinRulez

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
What is this plant and can my Sulcata eat it? The person selling it said it was high in omega 3, she told me what it was and I totally forgot

Attachments

• 7B9FE13A-4A78-4AA8-9208-854A8DFC2C13.jpeg
    7B9FE13A-4A78-4AA8-9208-854A8DFC2C13.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

PumkinRulez

Texas
Ok, that’s what I thought too, but on tortoise table there’re is pink purslane that is safe, and common purslane which isn’t safe... Idk! Let’s wait for another then

PumkinRulez

Texas
Getting a lot of different types of it

Attachments

• B0295849-A538-40CB-A319-1F1EB189AA87.jpeg
    B0295849-A538-40CB-A319-1F1EB189AA87.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 7

zovick

10 Year Member!
Portulacas are a marginal feeding plant at best. I stick to the enormous list of other plants and weeds which are beneficial and nutritious.
My grandfather lived in Niantic, CT for many years, and my family visited him for a couple weeks each summer when I was a kid. Purslane grew wild on his 7 acre property and he had us kids hunt for it and pick it quite often. Then my grandfather would wash it, boil it up, put some butter on it, and we would eat it as a vegetable with dinner. It didn't taste great to me, but other family members liked it (or pretended they did).

I have seen my tortoises eating purslane in my yard any number of times over the years and they never had any problems. I seriously doubt it would be harmful for anyone else's tortoises to eat it, either, but that is just my opinion.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
My grandfather lived in Niantic, CT for many years, and my family visited him for a couple weeks each summer when I was a kid. Purslane grew wild on his 7 acre property and he had us kids hunt for it and pick it quite often. Then my grandfather would wash it, boil it up, put some butter on it, and we would eat it as a vegetable with dinner. It didn't taste great to me, but other family members liked it (or pretended they did).

I have seen my tortoises eating purslane in my yard any number of times over the years and they never had any problems. I seriously doubt it would be harmful for anyone else's tortoises to eat it, either, but that is just my opinion.
What a coincidence! My parents live 20 minutes from me in Niantic, CT! Years ago I planted portulaca (moss rose) and purslane in my tortoise's outdoor enclosure/garden because I thought all succulents were tortoise friendly, and he would eat it as well. Then I found The Tortoise Table and have been using that to guide my decisions. Since it says not to feed, I don't. I have so many other options, I don't bother with it. However, I eat purslane raw in salads and LOVE it.

zovick

10 Year Member!
What a coincidence! My parents live 20 minutes from me in Niantic, CT! Years ago I planted portulaca (moss rose) and purslane in my tortoise's outdoor enclosure/garden because I thought all succulents were tortoise friendly, and he would eat it as well. Then I found The Tortoise Table and have been using that to guide my decisions. Since it says not to feed, I don't. I have so many other options, I don't bother with it. However, I eat purslane raw in salads and LOVE it.
Off topic, but where in Niantic do your parents live and have they lived there very long? My grandparents had their place on Black Point Rd. from 1912 until my grandfather's death in 1992. The property backed up onto the Pattagansett River and we would canoe all the way down the river to the ocean (LI Sound).

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Off topic, but where in Niantic do your parents live and have they lived there very long? My grandparents had their place on Black Point Rd. from 1912 until my grandfather's death in 1992. The property backed up onto the Pattagansett River and we would canoe all the way down the river to the ocean (LI Sound).
How did I not see this? Sorry for not responding! My parents live a couple blocks up from downtown (off of Pennsylvania Avenue). That have the most darling cottage with gorgeous gardens. They have lived there about 15 years (retirement home). They LOVE it! They love for children/grandchildren to come visit and go to the beach. Fortunately most of us are local and spend lots of time with them.