What is This Little Bug in my Enclosure?

Lilsmurf15

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hey there!!! I have had my 3 toed box turtle for 18 years and I have never had a bug issue until recently. Does anyone know what these are?? Thanks!!

IMG_0091.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! How on earth did you manage that picture? If they're what I think they are, they're pretty tiny little critters. I think it's springtail. They thrive under the food and water bowl, eat leftover food and detritus and are not harmful to the turtle. But don't take my word for it. Wait to here from others. I've never actually seen a springtail up that close.

Lilsmurf15

Illinois
Wow! How on earth did you manage that picture? If they're what I think they are, they're pretty tiny little critters. I think it's springtail. They thrive under the food and water bowl, eat leftover food and detritus and are not harmful to the turtle. But don't take my word for it. Wait to here from others. I've never actually seen a springtail up that close.
I have been trying to get a picture for a while, I just got really lucky this time and was able to zoom in on my iPhone . Thank you for your reply, I was hoping they weren't something harmful.

TammyJ

Jamaica
Hello and welcome! Glad they are harmless, apparently.

waretrop

NE Pa. Zone 5
A agree with what the little bugs are. Just clean them out and don't let moisture or food build up too much under the dishes....They really like moist areas....and are easy to get rid of...

LasTortugasNinja

Ut
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread, but it's Easter weekend, so it's all good. ;)

For those wondering, Springtails are a beneficial symbiote for most reptiles and amphibians along with isopods. They thrive in warm, humid environments and heartily break down chunks of food and waste particles you don't always see during cleanups. They are really popular for the latest fad of "biofiltering" pens and terrariums. I have a monitor lizard who has a thriving colony of these. He likes to watch them scurry around but never tries to lick them up. They are a good supplemental food source for terrestrial or arboreal amphibians such as smaller treefrogs or poison arrow frogs.

They are prolific breeders, so if you find yourself swamped by them, collect them in a plastic cup, keep them warm and moist, and sell them locally to other reptile owners interested in starting a colony. If you want to rid yourself of them completely, good luck. They seem to have a way of re-appearing. A good vinegar soak for all the enclosure furniture and complete replacement of soil will kill off the critters.