What is this dead thing?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
image-3.jpg
WOW that freaked me out!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought, "was that what's in my backyard?!!" for a second there!:D

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Iguanas have serrated shark teeth, trust me, I know. Mean little monsters. My blue tongued skunks had conical teeth, they weren't sharp but they could crush your finger pretty well. Great for grinding up snails.
Yes. Many times decades ago, while trying to catch them I was both bitten by teeth, ripped with claws and whipped by the tails of iguanas.
Now the novelty has worn off. I leave them alone.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Ir migth be a red eye croc which is a skink so dont be worried
That still kind of worries me. Skinks are so YUCKY!!! (No offense to those of you who own them... it's just a matter of preference. I'm even squimish around worms). ;) Thanks all for trying to help identify it! Sure is a weird thing. Hopefully the hawk won't be dropping off anything else, but I still see him hanging around. Makes me a tad nervous about Ginger!!!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hopefully the hawk won't be dropping off anything else, but I still see him hanging around.
The main reason garter snake came to my mind so quickly, I lived in an area thick with garter snakes. Come summertime I would find with regularity dead garter snakes that had their backs stripped off oftentimes down to the sides. I wondered what would do this without eating the full snake. We have lots of red tailed hawks and gosh hawks in the area as well, but why wouldn't they eat the full snake? Finally I figured out what was happening to the snakes. I had to use a weed-whacker on most of this property, and unfortunately I was killing the poor little guys accidentally. Once dried, they look very much like your picture. To solve that problem, I started laying out pieces of plywood and carpet samples out for the snakes to hang out under and that, saved many snake lives.
So I ask you, does anyone do some serious weed whacking at your place?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
The main reason garter snake came to my mind so quickly, I lived in an area thick with garter snakes. Come summertime I would find with regularity dead garter snakes that had their backs stripped off oftentimes down to the sides. I wondered what would do this without eating the full snake. We have lots of red tailed hawks and gosh hawks in the area as well, but why wouldn't they eat the full snake? Finally I figured out what was happening to the snakes. I had to use a weed-whacker on most of this property, and unfortunately I was killing the poor little guys accidentally. Once dried, they look very much like your picture. To solve that problem, I started laying out pieces of plywood and carpet samples out for the snakes to hang out under and that, saved many snake lives.
So I ask you, does anyone do some serious weed whacking at your place?

Yes, we have a weed whacker do our lawn... but the only thing that keeps me from thinking it was the lawn man is the place that I found the snake. It was on top of a six foot fence. Yes, on top. (And no kidding, my neighbor built a fence that is six feet tall!!! I think he's trying to tell us something...) Anyways, it was stripped very strangely of it's flesh and skin, so I'm not sure what would do that. Do hawks eat bones of animals or just the flesh? Maybe some other bird could have dropped it off? When I saw the skeleton first, the hawk was on the fence opposite, but that doesn't mean he's the culprit. He could have been framed. ;) Seriously, though, I'm not sure he did it.infrared2nsnake 016.JPG

Yo Adrien

Clearwater, FL
Are you near water in Florida? Osprey rip flesh off their catch. And usually perch higher up while they eat.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Not really... I'm near a lake? But the hawk was sitting right next to it so I really think it was the hawk. I still am not sure what exactly it is. Sounds like mixed opinions! :)