What is this, and is it edible?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Just used the “picture this” app, and it looks like it might be Bowlesia incana, or “hoary bowlesia”. Haven’t found any info on toxicity, though.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Bowlesia is in the parsely family and that plant sure looks like a parsley. I would think safe but not tasty.

Naturally the Tortoise Table says “do not feed” about parsley but not to worry if your tortoise takes a bite. There are a ton of things in this plant family that are perfectly safe (carrot, dill, coriander) so it’s not a warning that would give me pause but I know you’re cautious. :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Bowlesia is in the parsely family and that plant sure looks like a parsley. I would think safe but not tasty.

Naturally the Tortoise Table says “do not feed” about parsley but not to worry if your tortoise takes a bite. There are a ton of things in this plant family that are perfectly safe (carrot, dill, coriander) so it’s not a warning that would give me pause but I know you’re cautious. :)

Thanks! Just happy I don’t have to rip up my entire yard to get rid of it, lol.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Personally I would err on the side of caution if there was any possibility it could be toxic - but I am very cautious.