what is the species of my tortoises?!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Tortoises are defined by species, not breeds. Breeds are variations of domesticated animals that are all the same species.

In order for @HermanniChris to tell you definitively which subspecies you've got there, he will probably ask for some plastron pics of each one.

Athcc

Saudi Arabia, Riyadh.
Hello and welcome. Tortoises are defined by species, not breeds. Breeds are variations of domesticated animals that are all the same species.

In order for @HermanniChris to tell you definitively which subspecies you've got there, he will probably ask for some plastron pics of each one.
sorry I'm not a native English speaker.
thank you very much.
what do I have to do now?

Athcc

Saudi Arabia, Riyadh.
]really?? [emoji32][emoji33][emoji33]
the pet shop my husband bought them from said they are Greek.

but then again tortoises are not common here so I think he didn't know about them.

he also said that the small one is female and the bigger one is a male.
now I'm not so sure about that [emoji45][emoji30]

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The smaller one could be a greek. It looks like it but can't see it too well. That's why we need pictures. Top, Rear view, and bottom. A hermann's will have a divided supracaudal scute. A greek will not. The pattern looks more greek on the smaller. I would think your smaller one does not have a divided supracaudal. The plastral pattern will tell too.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You have 2 Testudo graeca ibera, no doubt about it. Beautiful, classic animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, that pretty much settles that!!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
No worries guys, ibera can have very distinct “hermanni type” markings. That yellow ground color with black contrast is what gives the look normally associated with Hermann’s but in fact it’s very classic for ibera to look like this. Most turn nearly a uniform black as they age though. Still, true western Hermann’s have an arrangement and contrast to their carapace markings that sets them apart from any other Testudo.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I think we should organize a TFO trip to my place. I think once you all see some of these Testudo in person and hold them it will click immediately. [emoji5]
All my Greek babies have yellow markings on their heads. Is this exclusive to Greeks or do Hermanns have them as well?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I think we should organize a TFO trip to my place. I think once you all see some of these Testudo in person and hold them it will click immediately. [emoji5]
I know I'm game for that! Though I'm working on getting ALL the Greek subspecies and locales to raise and breed so I can specialize in them. Been learning a lot from you, and I'm very grateful for it [emoji16]