What is the gender of my Russian tortoise?

lynnefay

Location (City and/or State)
OREGON
I was told it was a female. 6" long shell. It carries it's tail to the side, tucked up, tight, always, and it has the spur on the end. (I was suprised to get a shot of it hanging out). However, the tail is not as thin and long in proportion to it's size as my 4" male, Ivan. My little Ivan's tail goes all the way over to his leg. This one's goes halfway over to its leg.
When I let them walk around the garden, it goes up to my little male, Ivan. Little Ivan pulls in his head, the ambiguous one wanders off. No violence, or breeding attempts, it just seems to want to say hi.
They live in separate enclosures. Any clues? I know a lot of experts are on this forum and I am eager to have them weigh in.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was told it was a female. 6" long shell. It carries it's tail to the side, tucked up, tight, always, and it has the spur on the end. (I was suprised to get a shot of it hanging out). However, the tail is not as thin and long in proportion to it's size as my 4" male, Ivan. My little Ivan's tail goes all the way over to his leg. This one's goes halfway over to its leg.
When I let them walk around the garden, it goes up to my little male, Ivan. Little Ivan pulls in his head, the ambiguous one wanders off. No violence, or breeding attempts, it just seems to want to say hi.
They live in separate enclosures. Any clues? I know a lot of experts are on this forum and I am eager to have them weigh in.
Hello and welcome to the forum.? It looks like a girl but I'm not an expert so let them weigh in.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
given your platinum level status, i'm pretty sure you are one of the experts:) thank you:)
That just means I help support them because I believe in what they are trying to do. But thanks. This is such a good site for tortoise parents. Also no matter how long a person has a tortoise they still need other tortoise owners for support and to talk about their different experiences. ?

lynnefay

OREGON
She was in rough shape when I got her this early summer. Very skinny looking. So even though they said girl, her tail was just so skinny I thought maybe she was a boy. It seems to have plumped up. I welcome anyone else's opinions, just to make sure:) (She eats like a horse...or should I say "Horsfields?").

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
She was in rough shape when I got her this early summer. Very skinny looking. So even though they said girl, her tail was just so skinny I thought maybe she was a boy. It seems to have plumped up. I welcome anyone else's opinions, just to make sure:) (She eats like a horse...or should I say "Horsfields?").
If the darling was a boy you might wind up calling him a Horse in the field ?