what is the first thing to do when they arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hi I'm getting my Eastern Box Turtles on Wednesday what should I do when I get them? a warm bath? how long? And how warm should the water be? also what kind of food? thanks for your help
Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I would introduce them immediately to their new enclosure. Have live worms, and cut up some strawberries and kale for them to eat. Then, observe them. See that they are getting along and relaxing. Have everything ready when they arrive. Boxies are easy to take care of so long as you clean out their water, provide fresh food everyday, even if they don't eat it. Have plenty of leaves and long grass for them to hide if necessary. Btw, how many are you getting?

Nedy

5 Year Member
Wichita, KS
Good luck with your little Boxie and let us know how she does. BTW, a picture would be wonderful!
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
hi I'm getting my Eastern Box Turtles on Wednesday what should I do when I get them? a warm bath? how long? And how warm should the water be? also what kind of food? thanks for your help

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
what would I get the life worms from? I'm getting 3, 2 females one male . I'm working on the enclosure right now I should be done tomorrow. this is what I did so far

Attachments

• 1374543592044.jpg
    1374543592044.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 66

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Soak them if they are shipped make sure they are hydrated then enclosure time with food don't bother them to my h cuz they will be adjusting to the new home

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Really looks good. I commented on it before and said you may need to reinforce the barrier about 8" below the top ground because these guys like to dig and burrow. You may lose one if you're not careful about that.

You can purchase live super worms at any pet shop. If you ha e fertile ground, there may be a few in the ground that they can dig and find. But, since you're getting three of them, I'd get a 50 count live worms. That should last them for a few days. If they come shipped, yes, soak them in warm water for about 10 minutes. Water should be comfortable, around 80 degrees.
Btw, how's things going for your sully?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Hi Sibi,
Thanks for asking,the female loves the flower pot in the gound,she stoped her own burrow...guess she loves mine beter.lol
I have to move the pool back to the shady area,the water got to hot in the sun....always something to do,u know how it is.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's so great! You'll have your hands full between the sully and your boxies. I too have my hands full caring for three sullies, one boxie, and one aquatic. Plus I have a lap dog.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Wow yes that is a lot, i do have 3 dogs 5 chickens, fish and cats...lol...and a husband lol

But they are all worth it,even when its exhausting.
How old is ur lab? We just lost our lab on Jan. 3rd :(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Oh oh, be careful with your sully and turtles. No matter how good your dogs are, they have been known to killed many turtles and torts. As a matter of fact, please read the thread below my name. It's a must read! You certainly have a lot on your plate. Be very careful that the dogs never get to be alone...not even for a minute. Keep me posted when you get your new boxies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
Wow yes that is a lot, i do have 3 dogs 5 chickens, fish and cats...lol...and a husband lol

But they are all worth it,even when its exhausting.
How old is ur lab? We just lost our lab on Jan. 3rd :(

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
They never alone with them,i have 2 very small dogs,they scared. But im alway there watching ,and the dogs never goes in the enclosure. I will send pictures when I have them.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
If you want to save money, breeding worms and meal worms are a good way. You will find out how many and much protein box turtles eat.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:

Lazy I am, this is a clip from another post I wrote about Biosecurity.

I will seek to learn about the history of the animals from the dealer, but I don't let that guide my practice.

The box arrives from FedEx and my priority is to get the tortoises out of the box. I put on latex gloves (nitrile if you are allergic to latex), and place the up-opened box in a large trash bag. I cut the box open and take the bag with the tortoises out, but still held over the box, and immediately get a weight, then place the tortoise in shallow water, with a cover. The packing materials are never moved away from over the box placed in a large trash bag.

Once to tortoises are soaking, I remove the gloves into the trash bag, seal the bag and into the trash it goes. None of the shipping materials are kept. It came from a dealer, it's soiled beyond cleaning.

As an aside, I remove the shipping labels, and more often than not, there is another older label underneath, so I know the box was recycle from some other animal shipment. Some other potential contamination, and poor business practice for the dealer to inform me of their other business.

So - now there are two pancake tortoises sitting each in their own shallow water, with a pre-soak weight. After about 1/2 hour I put on fresh gloves and re-weight, and note the feces that are almost always going to be present in that soak water. I get to learn much here. Many dealers and private breeders fast an animal before shipping, the worms if present seem to more readily come out after a short fast. So I get a good first look to see adult worms if present, get an idea that indeed the tortoises were eating at all, and now have an idea by weight gain just how dehydrated they were.

I spray the scale off with straight non-sented ammonia (outside). I place each tortoise in it's own separate housing, which is where it will live for the duration of it's quarantine. This housing needs to be simple, and meet the needs of the tortoise.

The context here is regarding pancake tortoises, but the practice is the same. The thread I wrote is here

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66974.html

Will

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Your enclosure looks awesome!!! I love it and your turtles will too!! I think Easterns are great!! I am so excited for you and I cant wait to see pics of them!!Tomorrow will be a great day!! :) :)

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Thankd Will.i will do it like that.
Yes very exhited...tomorrow late in the day,they will be here! I will make pix right away.luvpets i love yours,too so nice and.green..with bushes....perfect for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.