What is the different between ploughshare tortoise nd sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyblue

5 Year Member
I am checking the pic on the net but can't differentiate between these two...

Radiated

5 Year Member
lol wow there is a huge difference, just look at sulcata thread and ploughshare thread.... emystiong has nice pics! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The ploughshare tortoise has a much higher domed shell.

Pull up a GOOGLE screen, then click on "images" up at the top. Type in ploughshare tortoise and look at the resultant pictures. Then type in sulcata tortoise. They look a lot alike, but its plain to see that the ploughshare is much more domed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ploughshares also have their very specialized gular scutes that they derive their name from, a different color scheme, and very different leg scalation all around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortoises101 said:
Not to mention you can't (legally) own a ploughshare. :p

Not true at all. You can own as many as you like. You can't sell them across state line without a CBW permit, but you can sell them within your own state. Legal International shipping is very difficult and requires all sorts of permits and paperwork.

Same with Galops and radiata. All other species are pretty much unrestricted within the U.S.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Tom said:
tortoises101 said:

Not true at all. You can own as many as you like. You can't sell them across state line without a CBW permit, but you can sell them within your own state. Legal International shipping is very difficult and requires all sorts of permits and paperwork.

Same with Galops and radiata. All other species are pretty much unrestricted within the U.S.

Okay, so hypothetically (not that I think this would ever happen), but if one of those 3 species were to show up in say, Alabama (expo, classifieds, etc.), could I just purchase it outright without worry, or would the exchange still require any documentation?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tom said:
tortoises101 said:

But those would be grandfathered ploughshares if I'm not mistaken? (meaning they were kept in the states before CITES laws and restrictions were in place)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Grandfathered how? If someone wants to purchase legally acquired Ploughshares in the US, they can do so with the proper protocols.

As long as sales are In-state and the animals are legal themselves, ESA animals can be legally purchased without a CBW Permit. If you purchase an ESA listed animal in a state that you do not reside in, and cross into another state,you are breaking the Lacy Act and are subject to all sorts of Federal charges that will result in a stiff sentence.......

If the animals are ILLEGAL to begin with, but are being sold under the guise of being legal, none of this really matters. Both buyer and seller would be breaking the Lacey Act. The buyer would have leniency though.......

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
That's kinda what I was getting at, Eric. LOL...if a ploughshare, Galop or Radiata showed up in my neck of the woods, I would be very leery of how it got there. Not saying I may or may not make said purchase because there's not that many in my area who know tortoises well enough to care for them...not sure how I would deal with that scenario.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Ok like this , I make one picture with similar size - Ploughshare next to a Sulcata both CB so should not have problem with cross sp pathogen stuff of complaint !! For the sake of education CAN ?

Cheers

Radiated

5 Year Member
especially from the side so show the high dome and the scales on the legs....

Status
Not open for further replies.