What is the breeding size for Spekes hingebacks?

Rhinos17

Hi, I was wondering what is the minimum size that spekes hingebacks start breeding at? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot even on just general info on these tortoises. I think they're very awesome looking animals and might want to own And maybe even breed them someday. If anyone can provide me with some information or experience they've had with breeding them, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone :)

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
Interesting no answer to your question. I have raised K belliana noguyi from established hatchling till she was about 4 1/2 inches and about 4 1/2 years of age and she surprised me with eggs. I was not able to hatch any. There have been 3 different girls of approx same stats that all laid eggs. If one egg appears be vigilant as several may be laid over a period of days as happened with mine. I would suspect a healthy Spekes being very similar to belliana would do much the same as long as healthy and having an amorous male companion. If having these circumstances you should have an incubator ready to go. This will be my next major buy barring unforeseen emergency problem;).

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I recently got eggs from two females. I bought them in 2014 as subadults from DeerFern Farms. I have the weights from when I bought them and some since. I'll weigh them again this week and let you know, as it's size and not age (I know you wrote size) that drives reproductive ability in most tortoises. Keep in mind that K. spekii have a large north south extent of range (about 1000 miles) and that will contribute to variability of what constitutes reproductive size.