What is the best substrate for a hatchling Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vickie

5 Year Member
I am trying to get together a enclosure for the new baby Greek I am getting in July anyone have a suggestion as to what substrate I should use? I put together over the last few days an outdoor enclosure for it when we are there with it and put in all the succulent types of plants and red lettuce in there with a nice thick layer of natural sand. (more like extremely small pebbles) Then on top of that a thin layer all over it with shell fines. However, after reading some more I am starting to wonder if I made a HUGE mistake on the garden with the sand?

Also, started to do his indoor enclosure with a mix of mostly untreated topsoil mixed with sand and shell fines. Is this a good mix or should I do something different?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The sand and pebbles are not the best choses. Sand causes impaction and the small pebbles can be eat and could also cause impaction. Hermanns like to burrow, so they will be able to get down to it. If you mix some regular dirt with the sand, so it's more dirt the sand, that will be okay. I would though try to get the pebbles out if possible. If not, I would put a lot of dirt on top and hopefully he won't dog down deep enough to get to the pebbles. You could also put a layer of the plastic type fencing over the top and the dirt.

Vickie

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The sand and pebbles are not the best choses. Sand causes impaction and the small pebbles can be eat and could also cause impaction. Hermanns like to burrow, so they will be able to get down to it. If you mix some regular dirt with the sand, so it's more dirt the sand, that will be okay. I would though try to get the pebbles out if possible. If not, I would put a lot of dirt on top and hopefully he won't dog down deep enough to get to the pebbles. You could also put a layer of the plastic type fencing over the top and the dirt.
Thank you so much! Yah what a dumb mistake. I was trying to think about their natural habitat and didn't really think it out all the way. Do you have any suggestions on indoor habitat substrate?

Vickie

5 Year Member
colatoise said:
I stick with a cypress mulch and topsoil mix. Holds moisture well and able to dig.
Sounds good I already picked up topsoil but was curious if it was the best choice. So now to just pick up the rest. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.