what is s/he doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Hi, my feeder fish who hasnt gotten eaten and is thriving. He has been acting strangely, like he has been hiding under a bunch of rocks. Is he a she and she is laying eggs? Or something else?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the clue to the answer lies in your question itself: "...who hasn't gotten eaten..." Sounds to me as if this fish is now on the menu.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Well the fish is almost as big as speedy and he is 3 1/2 in. so I dont think so and squirt is 5 1/2 in.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D :D had the same thought as Yvonne. It's hiding out safe and sound among the rocks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fish that are too big to be eaten whole are picked at. The turtles will tear the fins and take bites as they can.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
emysemys said:
Fish that are too big to be eaten whole are picked at. The turtles will tear the fins and take bites as they can.

Very true, I got some goldfish for my red ear sliders once, and on purpose got a few big ones thinking that they wouldn't eat them. WRONG.....
They bit them apart, piece by piece.....not pretty

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Gold fish, I assume that's what it is? Tend to go crazy when they lay eggs. Our pond has 73 of them, the females speed around like crazy with the males chasing after them at high speeds. Hiding is not something they do when they're laying, I'd agree with everyone else and say its trying to survive.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto, was thinking the same thing. No one left to push out into harms way, shoot, I'm next.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.