What is it??

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
OK, call me naive but is the weird sucker like appandage which occasionally protrudes from my fifteen year old female cherry red foot her vagina...or a fifth foot??

I'm new to all this, I've adopted a male and female...

Kind regards, Joy x
Sounds like your female is actually a male.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Oh no!!! Don't get me started. I'm never going to live down the day I found out I had a darling boy. I'm still laughing at myself over that one. Yours must be being shy so far.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And tortoises should never live in pairs, especially not adults, and the sexes don't matter. You'll need an enclosure for each one.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
You can post some photos of their plastrons (underside) and tails and we can ID both.

Two torts living together often result in one being smaller than the other because of territorial dominance in the larger one. This is often mistaken for sexual dimorphism. The stress can be fatal for the bullied individual.

Joybag

Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire
Hi, thanks for all you input. I will take photos tomorrow...don't worry they both have separate enclosures anyway. They have enjoyed each others company for over a decade...they are just able to be around each other a lot more now as they have moved to a household with no dogs. The (who I thought was a girl) bigger, 'male' tortoise was actually on Coronation Street for a few years and lived at the ITV studios...such a diva!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I thought my poor "girl" had been disemboweled when I figured out it was a male! Now I know not to be alarmed when I hear quacking coming from his hide. He's grown really found of his hot water bottle. ?:eek:
That's so funny! That's what I thought!!! All I could say and think was my poor darling! All his innards got sucked out by the warm brick deck. My next thought was cold water would make the swelling go down so everything would roll itself back in. He was busy trying too really quickly after I picked him up and saw the dastardly thing. Too late. I was gonna get all that back where it belonged with cold water. Poor little guy.