What is best soil to regrowing cactus pads?

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
what soil is best for optunia cactus pads? Would nature care potting mix from Home Depot be a good choice with cactus? I use it for Arnold's flowers and greens but not sure if I can use for cactus pads as well.

I should be ordering the optunia pads from tortoise supply soon. Also looking into different grasses as well.

Thank you for all your advice, I appreciate it :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They make a "Cactus Mix" potting soil. These have worked well for me. Or you can add some playsand to regular potting soil. Personally, I just stick them in regular dirt and it works fine.

One big key is to let your pads sit in a well ventilated area for a week or two. Make sure they are good and scarred over where they were cut. Then stick the pad upright about 1/2 to 1/3 in your DRY dirt. Do not water it or mess with it for at least one month. After that, water as needed. When summer temps are above 100 here, I water twice a week. During most warm weather I water once a week. I don't water them at all in winter.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't know about so cal but here in Texas I just lay them on the ground two out of three started to root . The other on turned black and or rotted out .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I just use plain old dirt from a hole in the ground. :D I don't use cactus mix because of the fertilizers in it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is nothing wrong with fertilizer Tiffany. All plants must have it in order to grow. Your yard dirt has it too. The only problem with tortoises would be if they had direct access to concentrated versions of fertilizer. Like if someone were to use fertilizer granules in a tortoise pen and the tortoise ate the actual granules. Or if using a liquid fertilizer and the tortoise came up and drank the "water". Once those nutrients are in the ground and the plant assimilates them into new growth, it is harmless and good for them.

Now pesticides or "weed n feed" mixes are a different story, but bat or poultry guano, or any of the other stuff they sometimes add to potting soils is fine to grow plants for consumption in.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I don't use forms on non "organic" fertilizers, because I dig up my plants and move them (dirt and roots attached) into the tortoise enclosure. Had the OP want to do the same, shaking off the soil from the root system often wilts the plant. Cactus grows just fine in dirt from my "dirt well".

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
For the most part, any soil that drains well should work. I use topsoil as a base with compost, vermiculite, and coir/peat mixed in.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well I use compost with a layer of back yard dirt over the top . Because AZ soil isn't really sand , it's not clay , but it isn't really very fertal soul . And I don't want to use any fertilizers . So I use compost and plant the cactus in a pot

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks everyone for your replies! I am gunna try to order cactus pads and use my nature care potting mix that I use for Arnold's other growing food.