What in the world am I doing wrong?!

Emily Deshar

She looks to me like a juvenile RF and as for such I’d keep by the following rules: encolure temp 80-85F (never let temps go lower than 80), with humidity AT LEAST 80% (more is better), daily 20-30 min baths in warm water temps betw. 95-105F. You temp gun will be your best friend[emoji6] My 2 RFs are almost 3 yrs old and I STILL bathe them daily and will continue to do so until they permanently move outside to their big garden and I see them use their wafing pools every day. And also work on the diet. WIDE VARIETY is the key to raising healthy RF. Check out Tortoise Library and Turtletary websites for great RF diet tips. RFs eat lots of mushrooms, fruit and also animal
protein, make sure you get those for her as well. Plus, your list of greens should be LOOOOOONG[emoji6] there are lots of good greens you can use daily (try to change them out daily or mix different ones. I have been mainly using store bought produce for mine but even with that you can provide a pretty good variety. Check out your farmers matkets, your Whole Foods produce, oriental markets, or other ethnic ones. Their produce is often much more interesting then our lettuces. Though some lettuce is ok to as PART of the diet. Think of such lettuces as : endive, escarole, radicchio, use collard greens, try mustard greens, go easy on spinach/kales (not good in lg amts) also do not forget your cactus!!! And Opuntia pads can be bought in many grocery stores as can dandelion greens,some even carry purslane. Add all kinds of tropical fruit (papayas, mango, melons, prickly pear fruit, fresh figs, all kinds of berries) the list just goes on and on! Then your mushrooms, occasional egg, and meat/fish every week. In nature they eat anything they can find dead or not moving (too fast[emoji6]) Some people do pinky mice, i thing it’s gross and stick with grocery store fresh or cooked shrimp (never any salt/spices), fish, or any meat. When cooking I trim off little bites of fresh meats and they adore that. Check out thise websites that I mentioned above. They were my “RF bible” the first 1.5 yrs. As for bumpy shell, don’t worry about it, it’s cosmetic and some torts just do that. Both of mine have been kept in same conditions “since birth” (2” when i got them, with egg tooth still there, Tuckers yolks sac scar was not quite fully closed, still raw and wet looking) Shelly (RF) is and has been little bumpy and Tucker (cherryhead) smooth, but they are both healthy and strong and I adore them both. As long as you know you’ve got all the RF keeping principles covered, I don’t think there is any reason for concern about little bumpy shell

My redfoot, Phoenix, is picky when it comes to meat.. she loves mushrooms, worms, and rolly pollies. I've tried boiled chicken, and hard boiled eggs, but she doesn't like them. She has taken one bite of them and hasn't eaten any again.. I have not tried shrimp yet though. She loves every fruit I've given her which is, banana (I give only once a month), raspberry, mango, blueberries, strawberries, melons, blackberries, and apples. I've given her carrots, squash, and pumpkin for veggies. She isn't a huge squash fan lol. In the summer I gave her lots of weeds. Dandelions, clovers, plantain, dog violets, and a Bush that I found on tortoise table that I know she can eat. I plan on planting more flowers like hibiscus and pansies here soon. Phoenix is very picky and doesn't like to eat the flowers of anything.. ahe only eats the leaves..lol

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
@Emily Deshar.
Can I see your enclosure please?
How often do you let this tort out in the sun?
What exactly is the uvb strip light and how high from the substrate is it?

I’d soak this tort at least 3 times a week, sprinkle nutrobal on food 3 times a week and only feed protein once a month.

Emily Deshar

This is just temporary until July when we make her her 7ft enclosure.

Attachments

• 20170907_224742.jpg
    20170907_224742.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 20170907_224813.jpg
    20170907_224813.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Wow.. dont need your help anyway.. other people have given good advice, I'll work with them.
Im not sure what you mean by tube and I'm at work so at this moment I cant give you measurements. So just dont reply. Thanks bye
Haha. Was just a joke. Need to know if it’s 5.0 or a 10.0 and the height of tube to floor.