What if the tortoise rolls over ...

AgataP

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
I am keeping everything low in the enclosure that he spends most of the time in. In his mini outdoor enclosure my tortoise has a little obstacle course where he climbs up and down and pushed things around he seems to really like it. But to the point.
What if he rolls over on his back when, I am sure that will happen at some point. How long is it “safe” for him to be rolled over. For example if I go to the store and this happens, or work, school etc.
Will he suffer any damage if he stays rolled for 1h, 5h, etc.
Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am keeping everything low in the enclosure that he spends most of the time in. In his mini outdoor enclosure my tortoise has a little obstacle course where he climbs up and down and pushed things around he seems to really like it. But to the point.
What if he rolls over on his back when, I am sure that will happen at some point. How long is it “safe” for him to be rolled over. For example if I go to the store and this happens, or work, school etc.
Will he suffer any damage if he stays rolled for 1h, 5h, etc.
Thank you.
Outdoors in the sun? He could die in minutes. Same indoors under the heat lamp.

psychoTort

Missouri
One thing I've always done with turts (not a tort owner yet) is to keep a cheapo Wifi Camera (Yi makes some if you're not sketched by the Chinese govt spying on your tort). My neighbor has a key to my house and is retired, she could go over and flip them if I notice he flipped.

This has never happened tome, but call me paranoid!

Reactions: Tom

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Outdoors in the sun? He could die in minutes. Same indoors under the heat lamp.
One thing I've always done with turts (not a tort owner yet) is to keep a cheapo Wifi Camera (Yi makes some if you're not sketched by the Chinese govt spying on your tort). My neighbor has a key to my house and is retired, she could go over and flip them if I notice he flipped.

This has never happened tome, but call me paranoid!

That’s the plan for me with a camera already place on when he is outside on the table under the cover just to be sure I see him when I go to the house for a minute.
I am ok buying a good camera. I will program one to send alerts if tortoise flips that has to be possible ??

ComeNT8kIt

Houston/Tx
In my enclosure for my Hermann’s I’ve kinda strategically placed different Little Rocks and plants so if he were to flip over. Which typically only happens because he likes to climb over his hide. He can reach out and get a foot on one and get himself back upright. I’ve only cause him flipped over once and luckily that was on the cool side away from the heatlamp

AgataP

Seattle, WA
In my enclosure for my Hermann’s I’ve kinda strategically placed different Little Rocks and plants so if he were to flip over. Which typically only happens because he likes to climb over his hide. He can reach out and get a foot on one and get himself back upright. I’ve only cause him flipped over once and luckily that was on the cool side away from the heatlamp

I have noticed him hiking up his hide out but I placed the hideout under the dirt - kinda cave style - so when he gets up it’s all “dirt” and wide piece of wood on the other side -I will make sure he has other things to her his legs on just in case.
He is never really alone but I want to be sure just in case. When he gets bigger he can go to the store with me.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I highly recommend the camera and also having your heat lamp on a smart plug of some sort, so that you can turn it off remotely if needed. A couple weeks after I got my tortoise I was at work and checked the feed for his camera and he had flipped over directly under his heat lamp. I was able to shut off the heat lamp immediately, but still rushed home to flip him back over. He was less than 30 grams at the time and struggling. I typically wouldn’t have been home from work for hours, so I have no doubt that he wouldn’t have made it if I didn’t have the camera and the ability to control his setup remotely.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I highly recommend the camera and also having your heat lamp on a smart plug of some sort, so that you can turn it off remotely if needed. A couple weeks after I got my tortoise I was at work and checked the feed for his camera and he had flipped over directly under his heat lamp. I was able to shut off the heat lamp immediately, but still rushed home to flip him back over. He was less than 30 grams at the time and struggling. I typically wouldn’t have been home from work for hours, so I have no doubt that he wouldn’t have made it if I didn’t have the camera and the ability to control his setup remotely.
Will definitely look into a smart plug. Just got a timed one but already irritates me so I might just swap for something better and smarter ?
Thank you

AgataP

Seattle, WA

@Krista S what camera and switch do you have. Do you possibly have a link to both or either ?
Thank you

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
@Krista S what camera and switch do you have. Do you possibly have a link to both or either ?
Thank you

The camera I use is no longer sold and I’ll actually be looking to get a couple new ones once I get my new enclosure. I haven’t figure out which camera I want to get as a replacement yet. As for the plugs, I am actually using a smart power bar/surge protector. Here’s a link to the exact one I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07G179ZWS/?tag=

My link is for Canadian Amazon, but I’m sure American Amazon will have it as well, or something similar. I have used many different Teckin brand products and they’ve all been amazing. Their customer service is top notch too if you ever do have an issue.

Here is a link to a recent thread where cameras were discussed and some people shared what they’re using.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
The camera I use is no longer sold and I’ll actually be looking to get a couple new ones once I get my new enclosure. I haven’t figure out which camera I want to get as a replacement yet. As for the plugs, I am actually using a smart power bar/surge protector. Here’s a link to the exact one I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07G179ZWS/?tag=

My link is for Canadian Amazon, but I’m sure American Amazon will have it as well, or something similar. I have used many different Teckin brand products and they’ve all been amazing. Their customer service is top notch too if you ever do have an issue.

Here is a link to a recent thread where cameras were discussed and some people shared what they’re using.

Thank you so much.
There are so many !! Hard to pick.
I took our security camera off and put in his enclosure ??