What I Fed My Tortoise Today...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Today I offered Donald 2 items that I don't remember giving to him before. Honeysuckle leaves. He ate some and then walked around with leaf hanging out his mouth.Picture 041.jpg and sedum.Picture 028.jpg The last few days he has really taken a liken to new growth cactus pads. I didn't get a pic before he started eating but you can get an idea of the 2 pads size he ate today.Picture 008.jpgPicture 050.jpgAnd today was cuttle bone dayPicture 037.jpg He and all the others had the mix of weeds, leaves, and blooms that I mentioned before that grow here.

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 4

SPILL

Illinois
I started with a base of gongura, narrow leaf plantain, broadleaf plantain, begonias, hibiscus, pumpkin and sweet potato leaves with dried moringa and stinging nettles. Okra, couch grass, and oat grass were added for the pancakes and stars. Ground up raw papaya, white mushrooms, okra and yam along with blackberry and green mango slices were added for the spiders.IMG_0910.jpgIMG_0913.jpgIMG_0911.jpgIMG_0912.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh not heard of egg shells as calcium before I might try that thanks
You don't even have to crush them either. You can just crack and egg and throw the whole shell in there.

Ribena

Cardiff UK
Normal chicken eggshell ? I been struggling for calcium if I’m honest the dude won’t eat his food if the powders on it and don’t touch his cuttlefish , he’s a naughty boy ? thanks for this ?

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Where do you get the opuntia cactus? Also, amazon sells Mazuri, that's where I bought it.
It depends on where you live. I’ve seen many members say they can get them from Asian markets or farmers markets locally. One member here said they found some at the grocery store. I ordered them from Amazon previously with positive results.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where do you get the opuntia cactus? Also, amazon sells Mazuri, that's where I bought it.
I grow the opuntia. I have about 40 stands of it. I have about 12 different types. I feed buckets of it out every day in the warmer months. It goes dormant in late fall/winter.

There are spineless opuntia every where in LA. You can grow hibiscus and lavatera too.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Today Sheldon gets squash, pumpkins, cucumber, and watermelon vines, leaves and flowers. With rose of Sharon leave and flowers mixed with some grass and dandelion greens E4B0DC27-45A1-4D16-B567-4B8ACCBD3E49.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Today Sheldon gets squash, pumpkins, cucumber, and watermelon vines, leaves and flowers. With rose of Sharon leave and flowers mixed with some grass and dandelion greens
Looks like you also have some mallow mixed in there toward the bottom of the photo. The little round leaves?

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Looks like you also have some mallow mixed in there toward the bottom of the photo. The little round leaves?
Yes, great eye almost forgot they where in there. I am lucky enough to have a lot of them growing in the backyard ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, great eye almost forgot they where in there. I am lucky enough to have a lot of them growing in the backyard ?
That IS lucky. Mallow is great tortoise food. It makes up a large percentage of what my babies eat in winter when we get our rains and cooler weather. From about December through March or April, I get a ton of mallow up here. Up here it all dries out and dies in spring when the heat comes back.

SPILL

Illinois
Today's base was sedum, gongura, narrow leaf plantain, broadleaf plantain, dandelion greens, rose of sharon leaves and flowers, petunias, and white clover topped with Tortoise Supply's herbal hay. Fescue and African variegated grasses were added for stars and pancakes. Red pear, prickly pear, cucumber, and blueberries were added to the spiders.

imagejpeg_2(1).jpgimagejpeg_0.jpgimagejpeg_1.jpg