What hobby have you spent most on?

Have you spent more than 500 dollars on a hobby?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
T

Trudy_the_tortoise

I am a fish keeper, and I have had experience with fish for over 5 years. I have spent so much money on my fish keeping hobby, as I am an intermediate fish keeper. How about you? What is your favorite hobby that you have spent most on?

MNGuy

Location (City and/or State)
Minneapolis, MN
Reef aquarium. Took it down and rehomed everything more than a year ago. It was beautiful, but more work than I preferred. (I had kept freshwater tanks for years and still have two up and running.)

But the biggest motivating factor for me was learning that once you add salt to freshwater it cannot be removed (no one has invented a way to remove it), and the planet's freshwater supply is getting more and more saline due to human activity (salting roads, etc.). I didn't want to add to the problem by keeping up a tank that required me to turn freshwater into saltwater on a weekly basis. I know my fish went to homes where people kept saltwater tanks, but those tanks already existed vs being newly created for my fish, so I felt like rehoming and taking down my tank was the best option.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Reef aquarium. Took it down and rehomed everything more than a year ago. It was beautiful, but more work than I preferred. (I had kept freshwater tanks for years and still have two up and running.)

But the biggest motivating factor for me was learning that once you add salt to freshwater it cannot be removed (no one has invented a way to remove it), and the planet's freshwater supply is getting more and more saline due to human activity (salting roads, etc.). I didn't want to add to the problem by keeping up a tank that required me to turn freshwater into saltwater on a weekly basis. I know my fish went to homes where people kept saltwater tanks, but those tanks already existed vs being newly created for my fish, so I felt like rehoming and taking down my tank was the best option.
You've never heard of desalinization plants?

You really think your fishtank has any impact whatsoever on the worldwide ratio of saltwater to freshwater?

MNGuy

Minneapolis, MN
You've never heard of desalinization plants?

You really think your fishtank has any impact whatsoever on the worldwide ratio of saltwater to freshwater?

I’m sorry but yes it did because the waste water goes straight into the toilet and sewage treatment center and back into the Mississippi River.

I happen to live in the Mississippi River watershed and emailed our watershed district and its scientists and they said while my aquarium obviously was a minor contributor compared to salting roadways, it nonetheless was adding salt to the local water supply because our municipal water treatment plant did not desalinate wastewater.

Their scientists told me the only way I could avoid contributing was to let my waste water sit in a large shallow tub in the sun so the freshwater would evaporate and I could throw the remaining salt away in the solid waste garbage.

Sure, I was only contributing a tiny amount but I wanted to do my part to reduce my impact. It’s just one of many decisions I’ve made to help the planet, and I’m a big believer in people doing whatever they can — however small the gesture — to help the planet, animals and each other.

I live in Minnesota and our city even recommends that people sweep up the salt they use on icy sidewalks after the ice melts to reduce its impact on our freshwater supply.

I’m not sure why you feel the need to be confrontational and lord your “knowledge” over people. You sure like to make assumptions and trot your attitude around.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I’m sorry but yes it did because the waste water goes straight into the toilet and sewage treatment center and back into the Mississippi River.

I happen to live in the Mississippi River watershed and emailed our watershed district and its scientists and they said while my aquarium obviously was a minor contributor compared to salting roadways, it nonetheless was adding salt to the local water supply because our municipal water treatment plant did not desalinate wastewater.

Their scientists told me the only way I could avoid contributing was to let my waste water sit in a large shallow tub in the sun so the freshwater would evaporate and I could throw the remaining salt away in the solid waste garbage.

Sure, I was only contributing a tiny amount but I wanted to do my part to reduce my impact. It’s just one of many decisions I’ve made to help the planet, and I’m a big believer in people doing whatever they can — however small the gesture — to help the planet, animals and each other.

I live in Minnesota and our city even recommends that people sweep up the salt they use on icy sidewalks after the ice melts to reduce its impact on our freshwater supply.

I’m not sure why you feel the need to be confrontational and lord your “knowledge” over people. You sure like to make assumptions and trot your attitude around.
He doesn't mean to have an attitude haha. Once you spend time on the forum you'll learn to love Tom.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Some of my hobbies include gardening, breeding leopard geckos, sketching, getting drones, doing fun things outdoors. I don't garden as much as i used to and don't really get drones anymore but I hope to garden lots more in the future and continue flying drones.

I've spent most on tortoises or leopard geckos haha. Drones are expensive but animals are a continuous cost.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Crap I forgot about my Tennis hobby! Haha I drive 40 miles round trip just to get my racket restrung by Steve! I have known him for years and fear the day when he passes as who can I trust?