What hinge-backed torts are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torto_x

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Guys, I found these 2 torts which according to the seller are hinge-backed. They are rare here and i am thinking to adopt them. Enlighten me, please:
- What sub-species are they?
- Are these 2 worth and pretty enough to keep?
- Can i put them together with the cherry head and forsteni?
Many thanks, guys!
- Mike -

IMG_1241aa.jpg

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
These appear to be wild caught Speke's Hingebacks. They should not be kept in the same cage as your others. Speke's require a humid environment and are omnivorous. Hope that helps.

torto_x

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks, Tim/Robin. Are they both Speke's Hingeback? As they show different colours.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
They look like Bell's hingebacks to me. You'll have to count claws to tell what subspecies. Kinixys belliana belliana has 5 claws on the front legs and K. b. nogueyi has 4 claws on the front legs.

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
They need to be housed seperately from the rf and forsteni. Let us know what ssp they are as that will help with husbandry.

tortoise_lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wow... what kind of tortoises is it? never seen this tortoise before.. looks like forsteni .. i think its ok to put them together with forsteni or CH

:D

torto_x

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
@Danny: You think they are Bell's? Hmmph.. interesting. Thnx! Will pay attention later about the claw.
@Larry: Yeah, agree with u, best to house them seperately. Unfortunately the seller and i are completely blind about what their ssp are.
@tortoise_lover: Bro, i just got 3 new adult forsteni today, yiiippe! (erhm... sorry, my dream's manifested first! :p ) So now i will have to keep them in their own enclosure.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Be very careful! I know of someone who brought home a new colony of hingebacks, kept them seperate, but were in the same room... and they died along with many of her other torts.. !!!!!!!!!!!! Very 'buggy' critters especially if WC.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You'll need 3 different enclosures!

1 for the redfoot..

1 for the forsteni..

1 for the hingebacks.. which have virtually the same needs as the redfoot.

NERD

torto_x

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Laura and Nerd, thnx for the reply. I agree that they are better kept seperated, so.. well, i think i'd better give it up. Can't afford another enclosure for these 2, not to mention it's gonna be too much work. Better get back focus on all i've got now :) Thanks, guys!

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
SoCal
torto_x said:
Hi Guys, I found these 2 torts which according to the seller are hinge-backed. They are rare here and i am thinking to adopt them. Enlighten me, please:
- What sub-species are they?
- Are these 2 worth and pretty enough to keep?
- Can i put them together with the cherry head and forsteni?
Many thanks, guys!
- Mike -

IMG_1241aa.jpg

I believe these are Speke's as well. Does their shell bump up toward the back? We though we had a Bells Hingeback, but as she grew older and her shell got more defined, we did some online research with our vet and learned she was a Speke's.

Attachments

• grandmalovesradley.jpg
    grandmalovesradley.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 32
Status
Not open for further replies.